Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Muni Fund Outflows

Muni Fund Outflows have been large and swift. They are approaching 2013 levels but in less than half the time. Shown is the chart link from Citi & Lipper posted on Twitter. Of course, the implications of heavy muni industry outflows for muni CEFs are their widening discounts.
https://twitter.com/GunjanJS/status/1528782964460605443/photo/1

Comments

• Munis are an interesting market.

Using VWITX as a benchmark, NAV is down 10.5% from H2 2021. Yield is 2.25% (per Marketwatch) and NAV is lower than at any time in the past decade. -- a few pennies below the covid crash.

Another benchmark, MUB is down 10.1% from its H2-2021 with a yield of 1.92%.

With an acknowledgement that the space could get a technical bounce, I find the yields woefully unattractive, given the inflation environment, and other alternatives for capital deployment. What kind of tax-free yield might get my attention? Maybe something like 4.5%.

• 4.5% tax-free yield and higher are possible today but not with high-quality munis (-:).
  • Munis of several stripes are popping strongly just in the last few days, even cef's, which have been hammered for months.
  • I don't love the muni space, but I need the muni space. So do many people. Placing most bets with VWALX and MMIN. Bought the big dips in XMPT, that has worked out well for me in the past.
  • Nuveen muni CEFs had sold off sharply and their discounts narrowed a bit yesterday (their NAV moves were not as dramatic as their price moves). The ETF of muni CEFs XMPT top 5 are NAD, NEA, NVG, NUV, NZF with 32.39% of portfolio.
    http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=XMPT&region=usa&culture=en-US
  • edited May 2022
    It is possible the muni outflows have stopped and reversed? I heard a report on the radio Wall Street money managers are looking past inflation at a coming recession. They believe depressed munis are the place to be for a recession.
  • For the past six months I've watched relentless declines in almost all muni funds I follow, and could not understand what was driving them down more than can be explained by concerns over rising interest rates. Flows into CEFs (to take advantage of the discounted market price) would make sense, but CEF muni prices were also falling. I'm still puzzled, but muni funds and CEFs now seem to be climbing more steadily than other bond categories. But why?
  • Ted_Turner, they are being bought at opportunistic low prices. NHMAX was yielding over 5% tax-free last week.