Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

McPutin - McDonalds leaving Russia / selling its businesses

edited May 2022 in Other Investing
“CHICAGO, May 16, 2022 – After more than 30 years of operations in the country, McDonald’s Corporation announced it will exit the Russian market and has initiated a process to sell its Russian business. This follows McDonald’s announcement on March 8, 2022, that it had temporarily closed restaurants in Russia and paused operations in the market. The humanitarian crisis caused by the war in Ukraine, and the precipitating unpredictable operating environment, have led McDonald’s to conclude that continued ownership of the business in Russia is no longer tenable, nor is it consistent with McDonald’s values.”

McDonalds Press Release

On a more practical investment level, the ongoing fracturing of international cooperation / codependence can’t be good for the individual economies. Can it? I’m thinking less innovation, higher production costs, higher inflation, more shortages and bottlenecks and more GDP devoted to various nations’ defense establishments.

Comments

• The whole trust of globalization is changing fast and it is winding down with Russia. I am sure they will come up with their version of Big Mac and others.

• They'll be rebranded in patriotic colors as Burger Czar, selling the Big Boris and Fillet o' Beluga, among other things. Vladdy Meals(tm) for the kids, too!
  • Ive been to Moscow and St Petersburg McDonalds. Quality of food beats our McDonalds by a country mile.Im quite serious. A friend of mines daughter worked at Moscow MCs and made damn good money.I know that the Russians are sad to see them go!!
  • edited May 2022
    Well, the Kremlin can no longer blame the Hamburglar for widespread corruption!