Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Boston to limit hours for picketing private residences …

edited March 2022 in Off-Topic
“BOSTON—The Boston City Council voted to limit picketing at private residences after officials faced protests at homes over pandemic-related rules. The council, whose members are all Democrats, voted 9 to 4 in favor of an ordinance banning targeted residential picketing from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. It was filed by Mayor Michelle Wu, who has had loud early-morning protesters outside her duplex since early January, when she announced a vaccine mandate for city employees.”

(Brief clip excerpted from the WSJ March 31, 2022)

Doesn’t this kind of crap just make ya wanta throw your hat in the ring and serve in public office?

Comments

• Hi Hank/all,

This is akin to banning the burning of the flag. If you have to do that, the war is already lost. When you have to ban peeps from picketing your ass, the next election cycle looks bleak.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • @rono- That could have been you, instead of Mayor Michelle Wu, because you also advocated taking Covid preventive measures.

Just sayin'...

OJ
  • edited April 2022
    “had loud early-morning protesters outside her duplex.”

I agree with freedom of speech / freedom to picket public offices. But here it sounds more like harassment. I wonder too about carrying these protests to private residences. What’s wrong with the public square, city hall or in front of the legislative offices?

What decent individual with a family is going to want to serve if an unruly mob is allowed to show up on their door step any hour of the day or night - unannounced - with no single individual accountable for their actions?

• I have to agree with @hank on this one. Picket in public spaces sure but private residences should be off limits. Ditto on the possibilities of future service.
  • Count me in too.
  • edited April 2022
    I don’t think @rono is in total disagreement here.

If I read him correctly, this ban on certain hours is like sticking your finger in a single hole in a leaky dike. I encountered that often in the workplace. Bureaucracies often prefer to plug the hole that’s drawing attention at the moment rather to tackle the underlying problem. Easier. Faster. Less blowback.
  • Howdy folks,

Thanks Hank. Elected officials should be held accountable for their actions. That said, there has to be limits. Too many school board members are quitting for their own personal safety and that's not a good thing. If you threaten a public official you should be prosecuted. [says that self-serving rascal rono].

It gets quite sketchy around the edges. So often the gov't tries to ban things they don't like or make it the law to force you to respect something you don't like. Flag burning. I spent 20 months helping to defend your right to burn, or even piss on the flag if you so choose. Me? I was an Eagle Scout and still abide by the Flag code. I don't see much difference between burning the flag or wearing a flag jockstrap.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono