Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any improvement in new car / truck availability where you are?

edited March 2022 in Off-Topic
Cripes. Not much on the lots in our area. Some won’t even display inventory online unless you give them phone number, email, etc. Was thinking that with the weaker Yen, maybe a Tacoma 4x4 would be nice. However, some are advertised online for 40 K + and having 5’ box that wouldn’t hold piddly. Have read dealers are tacking on extra fees and getting well over sticker price.

You or anyone you know ever buy online?

Wonder when, if ever, supplies may build up to where buyers have some selection and bargaining power? Damn wierd situation today following years of oversupply and “incentives.”

Comments

• ---- The only Toyota factory that still makes the Tacoma in the USA is located in San Antonio, Texas. However, two Toyota factories in Mexico produce the Toyota Tacoma, including the Tijuana factory in Baja California and another factory in Guanajuato.

Not a $YEN condition, unless the drive train or such comes from Japan.

Supplies will replenish, as the folks who are buying now, discover they really can't afford the price of a well equipped NEW pickup truck........+ insurance, mostly very poor fuel mileage, etc. May be a fairly large number coming off 3 year lease programs in the near future. 'Course, the used market prices are crazy, too, eh? Hank, price a replacement tire for many of the trucks.....the 22" ....hang on to your arse as you read the price.

I don't see many "base" model pickup trucks on the roads in Michigan; as few are ordered by dealers (better markup for the options). My best guess is the $50k - $80k price range. The pickup truck folks in this state don't want a "plain" truck.
  • Due to the semiconductor chip shortage, auto makers seem to be saving them for the more expensive models. For example the "no dealer fee" Hyundai dealership near me has 18 Tucsons for sale-only 1 of which is the base SE trim. The chip shortage is supposed to ease by Summer 2023, but for me I'm not expecting prices below MSRP until Spring 2024 at the earliest.