Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tell your story of different ways price increases are being slipped by us

edited June 2011 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Expect the rust-resistent model to be re-introduced to the market at a higher price point some time.
  • On your original Brillo story -- my brother-in-law refers to this as "the silent inflation".

Andy Rooney has done stories on this for years -- how a #8 (or whatever it is) can of coffee is smaller than what it used to be, but is claimed to make the same amount of coffee. Laundry detergent manufacturers did the same thing -- smaller bottle, but "yields same number of washes". Girl Scout cookies this year were noticeably downsided (and fewer cookies per box).
  • TP According to my roller , it either became longer or the roll is shorter. I'd take a guess & say about 20% less paper for the manufacture to put on the roll. All profit !!!
  • I like when they inject all of that air to puff it up, and the roll disappears almost before you start to use it... sure feels soft when you squeeze the roll, though... almost like air.
  • edited June 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Haagen-Dazs ice cream downsized their pints from 16 to 14 ounces, supposedly to hold prices steady in the face of rising ingredient costs.

So what did my local (Cub Foods) supermarket do? They raised the prices on the shrunken pints.

As Chester A. Reily used to say, "What a revoltin' development this is!"
  • Haagen-Dazs ice cream downsized their pints from 16 to 14 ounces, supposedly to hold prices steady in the face of rising ingredient costs.

So what did my local (Cub Foods) supermarket do? They raised the prices on the shrunken pints.

As Chester A. Reily used to say, "What a revoltin' development this is!"