Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How Russia’s Revamped Military Fumbled the Invasion of Ukraine

edited March 2022 in Off-Topic
Here's one of the best reports on the Ukranian war that I've seen in a while. It should be a free WSJ link.

Of Russia’s effort to create a large, modern army, “The part which is modern is not large, and the part which is large is not modern.”

Comments

• Is an outright Russian military victory in Ukraine possible?

And an additional good report from The Guardian, with a similar discussion of Russian military capability.

• THANK YOU, OJ.
  • David Petraeus (former CIA director) was interviewed by CNN (Peter Bergen) and provided further insights on the Russian invasion and why they got bogged down. Quite revealing coming from a former commanded US forces in the Iraq and Afghanistan. In short, it appeared Putin acted on poor intelligence & tactics, and poor solider morale and training.

https://cnn.com/2022/03/15/opinions/russia-ukraine-petraeus-bergen/index.html
  • Yes, a number of former high-ranking military leaders seem to be in agreement on that.
  • edited March 2022
    Petraeus gave 4 possibilities on how this war may end.

This war remind me of the Chechnya war back in 1994 and left Chechnya in ruin along with thousands of death on both sides. Putin did not care and the Russian citizens were powerless at that time. Will Ukraine war differ? I sincerely hope so...
    https://npr.org/2022/03/12/1085861999/russias-wars-in-chechnya-offer-a-grim-warning-of-what-could-be-in-ukraine
  • edited March 2022
    @Sven- Again, yes... the Russians do seem to be predictable in their tactical operations. Destroy and flatten- leave nothing standing. As you may recall, that was also rono's definition of war.

By coincidence I just came across this article in The New York Times. It should be a free link.

Russia’s Brutality in Ukraine Has Roots in Earlier Conflicts

• Howdy folks,

I've been listening to Petraeus and Clark. Five Russian generals have been popped by the guys with blowguns. OoohRah! Seems their comm is so bad the brass has to go to the front of the columns to get them moving. They don't delegate to non-coms and with no comm . . .

So far, the Russian military has been revealed to be much of a clown show. That's good and bad. Good because they don't have shit. Bad because they still have some serious bludgeon type weapons and their leader is not the sort that loses gracefully. Sort of like someone refusing to accept defeat in an election. Alas.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • (One of the would-be breakaway regions at the Russian border in the east.)
    Luhansk governor says local ceasefire agreed.
    The governor of the Luhansk region in eastern Ukraine says an agreement has been reached on a local ceasefire in order to allow for the evacuation of civilians trapped by fighting.

Serhiy Haidai said on Telegram that the ceasefire would come into force at 9am local time (07:00 GMT).