Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SpaceX launches Starlink Premium And it’s Not Cheap

edited February 2022 in Off-Topic
FWIW - I was fortunate to be an early “beta” user of the original Starlink since November 2020 and love it. During Beta (ended last October) there was a non-disclosure clause, so didn’t say much about it. But compared to cellular, which is all I had before, Starlink is a huge improvement. More than ample for streaming in HD. Very low latency (suitable for gaming). In a heavily wooded area, so needed a roof mount which I did myself. Has a motor which automatically points it at the satellites. And the dish is heated to remove snow and ice. The kit cost $500 and than $99 a month. Steep. But cancelled a $120 monthly DirecTV package the next day - no longer needed.

The price of the new premium Starlink is nuts ($500 monthly). I don’t know who could afford it other than an institution or business.

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/spacex-launches-starlink-premium-internet-plan-and-its-not-cheap/

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Deleted- see next post.
  • edited February 2022
    @hank- Just for the hell of it I checked online to see if the service is available at our Russian River place. Yes, it is. The Starlink site says that it was updated "three days ago", and there is no mention of a "premium" service. In fact, the site says that there are no "tiers" of service, but only the one plan, at $99 / month.

Add: However, additional "research" shows that there is in fact a new offering as you mention. Apparently it is aimed at commercial/business/government entities which might benefit from the increased bandwidth and speeds of the premium version.

• edited February 2022
    @OldJoe - I just heard about the premium plan yesterday. Just started. A laugher IMHO. I’d expect you would be able to receive their standard service up at the river. $500 dish & electronics / $50 shipping 2 day FedX and $99 a month. No limit on devices or usage as of now. Off the included router speeds vary from 50 mbs to 200. There’s an ethernet port I don’t use, but would probably boost that.

Seems to me I’ve heard there’s a considerable backlog now. Maybe long wait. They would ask for a zip code and wouldn’t enroll you if there wasn’t adequate area coverage. Plenty of information online about coverage which has been expanding steadily.

CAUTION - These satellites are quite low in the northern sky (moving W - E). It is paramount you determine that angle to the sky from the ground and the general area of the sky before committing $$. Lots of information online. They have an app that would do this for you, but requires internet to operate. (Duh.) As I mentioned, I needed to roof mount mine on southern edge of home in order to hit their satellites to the north.. Otherwise trees would have interfered.

(Sorry for all the detail - but others likely reading this and I want to be sure I don’t mislead anyone.)
  • edited February 2022
    @hank- We presently have very good high-speed service via AT&T: fibre from Guerneville to a point near the house, then dumped onto the 2-wire copper that's been the landline feed for about 80 years. Same exact setup as we have here in SF.

I only checked out the Starlink site to see what they were up to at the moment. Evidently their internet site, supposedly updated only three days ago, hasn't yet been "re-updated" to mention the "premium" service option.

Actually, I think that it's not a bad option for high-traffic users located in remote areas. Starlink likely doesn't really want a whole bunch of such users, because that would take a pretty good bite out of their total bandwidth capacity. But if they are able to add a few high-capacity users to their customer base, why not?
  • edited February 2022
    “I only checked out the Starlink site to see what they were up to at the moment. Evidently their internet site, supposedly updated only three days ago, hasn't yet been "re-updated" to mention the "premium" service option.”

Ok. Got it. I never visit their site. Do have an app installed on my ipad where I can request help if needed. But haven’t used it in many months. Billing automatic of course. I’m sure you saw the related news article I posted.

You are correct that Starlink doesn’t do as well in high density population areas for the reason you stated. That new service was mentioned on Bloomberg TV Tuesday as an almost comical aside. First I heard of it. What got me thinking about it again Wednesday (and than posting) was they launched their second rocket in 2 days. One from the west coast Tuesday with a classified govt. payload and than another from the East coast with 40+ Starlink satellites Wednesday. Amazing!

I’m thinking that premium service would be ideal for a cruise ship.
  • Did they have an insurance policy ?