Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is there a site that tracks fund buys/sells over time?

Subject says it all, but I'm wondering if there's a site that lets you see and/or explore what a fund held when, to examine their performance and determine if it was b/c of just a handful of 'lucky' picks or not, and/or to see how they might have been positioned at any given point in (fairly) recent history?

I think TRP lets you go back a few quarters to see how fund holdings change, but that's just one firm/family.

Comments

• SEC/Edgar fund reports (semiannual, annual) would have that info going back several years, but the manual retrieving and analysis process can be cumbersome.

Many funds post holding reports but the new ones replace the old ones.
  • Thx YBB. I figured if anyone did, you'd probably have an answer ... though i was hoping for a more modern/automated way of doing that research b/c SEC/Edgar (or the fund ARs themselves) feels antequated and isn't exactly user-friendly.
  • edited December 2021
    If you go to the "Portfolio" tab for any fund on Morningstar and look at its "Holdings" near the bottom of the page, you can see when a stock was "First Bought" and "Share Change %" column for each holding. For instance, look at this one: https://morningstar.com/funds/xnas/fmagx/portfolio
  • That is the only site I know of, but doesn't really tell you all of what you would like to know.

I saw LLPFX jumped up 8% in a week recently, and even though it has less than 30 positions, without looking up each one, I could not figure out why.

Am I correct to remember that I think M* used to have a fund compare tool that would search for funds with similar compositions? Does it still work?
  • It does still have that similar funds tool for premium subscribers only I think.
  • Similar Funds is a M* Premium feature. It is based on fund Categories and finds "similarity" scores for portfolios and performance. It doesn't provide holding details like @rforno is looking for. I used Pimco PIMIX and it refused to find any due to missing data. I used Fido FADMX and it found several
    https://www.morningstar.com/funds/similar-funds

"Overview
    Similar Funds compares each fund with all other funds in its investment category. For example, if a fund's category is listed as large growth then it will be compared only with other large-growth funds. Depending on the specific ticker you input, we may screen on additional criteria, too. For example, if you input a market-neutral fund, Similar Funds will only consider other market-neutral funds in its results.....

Portfolio Similarity
    The portfolio similarity score is determined by comparing various attributes of each fund's most recent portfolio. The exact attributes vary depending on the type of fund being compared. For domestic-stock funds, for example, we look at the following portfolio data: asset allocation, weightings in top three sectors, percent of assets in top-10 holdings, fund turnover, median market cap, and P/E. Funds are scored from 0 to 10, with 10 being the most similar. Funds with incomplete portfolio data may have their portfolio similarity score excluded or penalized by these calculations.
    ....."
  • edited December 2021
    sma3 said:

I saw LLPFX jumped up 8% in a week recently, and even though it has less than 30 positions, without looking up each one, I could not figure out why.

I would not expect --- depends on how recently you mean, I suppose --- to be able to find that out in anything like real time. In fact, I think it best not to be able to. Everyone has heard of frontrunning, right?
  • Try Microsoft Access Database. I imported excel spreadsheet into the program and it shows the percentage of each contribution of how much it made or lost since I started investing in 2005. I’ve never used the database before so it will be interesting on what I can do with it
  • msf
    edited January 2022
    M* makes it easy to look up recent performance of the top 25 holdings. Or in the case of LLPFX, all 17 equity holdings. One can go to the M* legacy holdings page for a fund, get links for each of the top 25 holdings, click on those links and from thence the link for each security's immediately trailing returns.

Legacy M* holdings page for LLPFX

Figuring on around a half minute per holding, that's around a quarter hour. Still tedious, but manageable. Of course one would have to do this immediately following the period of interest since the easily available data are immediately trailing one week (and one month, etc.) returns.

FWIW, looking at LLPFX, after August (i.e. recently) I don't see an 8% jump in a week. In a month, perhaps.

The fund declined for most of Sept, hitting its nadir on Sept 21, then climbing 3% and giving most of it back by Sept 30th. From that point, the fund generally ascended, reaching an 8% increase on Nov 4th and topping out with a 10% gain in Nov 5th. From there the fund gave everything plus a little more back by Dec 1.

From this new low point, the fund never climbed 8%. It did rise 7% by Dec 27th, where it effectively plateaued. So I took a quick look for holdings that climbed sharply over the month of December.

MGM up 13%, H (Hyatt) up 22%, FFH (Fairfax Financial) up 10%, CNHI (CNH Industrial) up 19%, FDX (FedEx) up 13%.
  • I had forgotten about the legacy pages which are more useful than the current portfolio reports.