Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Pilots report making critical errors due to decreased flying experience related to pandemic

edited October 2021 in Off-Topic
First heard this on Bloomberg. Sounds like the LA Times first published the story. Here’s an alternative source: that should be easier to access.

A recent technical bulletin issued by Boeing advising pilots to "closely monitor the airplane's state and flight path to prevent a loss of control in flight" has highlighted concerns about pilots returning to work after being grounded for months due to COVID-19. The bulletin was issued after Indonesian authorities published a preliminary report into the Sriwijaya Air crash in January that killed all 62 people on board a 737-500.

"Continual crew awareness of airplane attitude, airspeed, flight control position and thrust settings is fundamental for airplane upset prevention and can reduce the effect of startle or surprise caused by rapid unexpected changes," the bulletin said.

Well, it’s been clear to me for a while most passengers aren’t paying attention to the flight - preferring to view videos, etc. . But I’ve assumed the flight crew still pays attention ? ?

Comments

• Just flew recently for business and the traffic has returned. Experienced some delays due to cancellation. Passagers on the flights wore their masks at all time. The crew will get better as the air travel slowly returns to normal.

By the way, the landing is largely computer-controlled except in severe weather condition. Think the flight path is preset unless they experience unfavorable wind pattern. Flew on a float-plane in UP Michigan and that is an adventure!
  • Hi @Sven
    Flew on a float-plane in UP Michigan and that is an adventure!
    Was this for your recent trip or another time? What location?
    Thanks,
    Catch
  • edited October 2021
    That was 30 years ago from Hougton to Isle Royals National Park since we missed the ferry boat The entire flight was very scenic and landing on the inlet of Lake Superior was smooth. Up till that point I have not flew on small propeller planes.
  • edited October 2021
    -
    Sven said:

By the way, the landing is largely computer-controlled except in severe weather condition. Think the flight path is preset unless they experience unfavorable wind pattern.

My awakening was in about 1975 when I watched a family member’s flight on a Northwest DC-9 lift off from TVC (Cherry Capitol Airport). A guy standing next to me on the ground - who obviously knew a lot more about flight than I did - remarked: “They’re switching over to auto-pilot about now.”

And than there’s the off duty flight attendant riding near me around year 1998. Her boy friend was flying 747s to China and the region non-stop from the U.S. I recall her telling me that they normally landed fully automatic. I was amazed.

Glad you enjoyed the float plane. Never been on one.
  • Many years ago I played with flight simulation software when they became available for PC. With joystick and pedals you can get a realistic experience of flying everything from propeller planes, jets, and helicopters. One get a real appreciation of the skills require to fly and to land the aircraft. I never achieved the level where I can land manually on an aircraft carrier at night time. With auto-pilot, I have a better chance of landing. I understand these auto-pilot programs are very sophisticated and often even better than human piloting.

The floater plane I flew was at low attitude in less than several thousand feet and I had a great experience. My next adventure is to get on a hot air ballon.