Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Questions on OSTIX and HABDX...

Osterweis Strategic Income (OSTIX): this is billed as a multi-sector bond fund, but I've been looking at its historical holdings and since inception its been overwhelmingly in high yield and convertibles. I know OSTIX's allocations are a product of management's assessment of the credit cycle, etc., but I'm still concerned: both managers have high yield and convertibles backgrounds; is this really just a high yield/convert fund that plays the credit cycle by changing the duration of these two classes of securities?

Harbor Bond (HABDX): is billed as an intermediate bond fund, but has a notable amount of international exposure. Is this possibly a "multi-sector bond fund" lite? Doesn't seem that it really dips to heavily into HY, however.

Thanks, all.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    To get right to it, yes (apparently) and yes (IMHO).

Uno - The figures for Ostix's 3-year variation in assets on the M* quote page show that in that time, it's been all corporate and convertible.

Dos - I think all of the Gross iterations fall into "ms-lite." He uses the full range of assets and modifies the portfolio at least strategically, and maybe tactically too. In a way, it's more multi-sector-ish or strategic than Ostix.

As to the obvious larger question, the current methodology of bond fund categories is really unenlightening, I think.

Cheers, AJ
  • AJ -- thanks. And, to be clear on OSTIX -- its not just that its corporates, its lower-grade (HY) corporates. Short duration, and rigorously evaluated using the Osterweis methodology; but from a larger report I obtained from Osterweis it appears the fund since inception has been predominantly HY corporates and convertibles.

Maybe the manager's projected credit cycle map warrants this, but there does seem to be little variation in the asset allocation since 12/31/06.
  • Howdy Shosta,

Not that you don't know; but we may find the general and sometimes specific prospectus guidelines the only "psuedo" gauge of what a multi sector bond fund may be or become.
    M* and Bloomberg and surely among other services too have a most difficult time of establishing and/or to classify a multi sector fund of any flavor.
    The only near guage I/we are able to use at this house is to allow M* to attempt to find a holdings style pattern for a fund and give a reference by perctentage of the last known holdings for the fund, which may be 3 months out of date.
    Fido's new Global High Income Fund FGHNX does give one an upfront name that indicates the direction of the fund; but the guidelines here have a lot of latitude for what % makeup may be on any given date:
    "Strategy:
    Normally investing primarily in income producing debt securities, preferred stocks, and convertible securities, with an emphasis on lower-quality debt securities, of U.S. and non-U.S. issuers, including emerging market countries. Potentially investing in non-income producing securities, including defaulted securities and common stocks. Investing in companies in troubled or uncertain financial condition. Allocating investments across different countries and regions. Investing in securities issued anywhere in the world, including potentially significant investments in U.S. issuers. Using a base neutral mix of approximately 60% U.S. high yield, 20% emerging markets debt, 15% European high yield, and 5% Asian high yield. Adjusting allocation among markets within the following ranges: U.S. high yield (40%-80%); emerging markets debt (5%-35%); European high yield (0%-30%); and Asian high yield (0%-10%)."

PTTRX Pimco Total Return is generally noted as an intermediate term bond fund; but I sure would like to be in the room for buys/sells for about 30 days to find the real actions.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Right, hi-yield and converts. That's evident from the style map on the portfolio page; on the quote page, M* doesn't differentiate between inv. grade & hi yield corporates.