Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Liquidity anyone?

edited September 2021 in Other Investing
If anybody feels knowledgeable enough, I’d appreciate your explanation / opinions on the “liquidity” issue Randall Forsyth mentions briefly in the Sept. 13 Barron’s. The debt part I understand. But the liquidity part is what I’m not fully reeling in.

Here’s Forsyth’s final paragraph:

“As a result of the past 20 years’ policies, America's public debt is one-quarter larger than the economy, versus a little more than half of gross domestic product in the third quarter of 2001. At the same time, the Fed's assets—mainly U.S. Treasury securities—have grown more than 11-fold, to over $8.3 trillion. As a result, the financial system has become so overstuffed with liquidity that more than $1.1 trillion is parked at the Fed's overnight reverse-repurchase facility. Who could have foreseen this two decades ago?”
-

As investors, we like to have liquidity. It allows us to move from one position to another easily or take advantage of opportunities that arise. No? So why is having too much of it dangerous to the economy?

Comments

• Just as too much cash (and too much free time) in a portfolio can be bad?
  • For my two cents ( maybe mistaken) I think that this is a twist on the argument that with deficits so high the government is squeezing out almost all the private borrowers in the economy.

Banks park money overnight at the repo facility to ensure they have enough cash available for the next day and the treasury pays 0.05%. But many of them apparently are just flipping the money over each night, without using it for more productive loans.

the Fed's purpose in buying bonds with created money is to increase the loans banks make to productive uses. Instead much of it is sitting on the sidelines, or in the stock market
  • edited September 2021
    (Delete)
  • So maybe it should be “lack of liquidity” due to it being “on the sidelines.”