Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

twenty years ago today

At nine in the morning, Central time, I was teaching Propaganda. We were just beginning the discussion of the attack that triggered World War One: the German invasion of France through Belgium. It was a strategic gem that should have triggered the near-bloodless collapse of France within four to six weeks, except for one tiny error in judgment: German success was predicated upon the assumption that the Belgians would capitulate rather than face devastation.

And as I was speaking, there was a clamor in the halls. Someone cried out, "oh my god!" The IT guys wheeled a TV on a wobbly cart into the three floor hallway and turned up the volume. I wandered out to find out what the tumult was about, just in time to see the shadow of a plane hit ... and seem to pass through ... a skyscraper.

And thus it began.

In memoriam,

David

Comments

• I recalled the moment clearly as someone said in my office, "what the hell is that !" What followed was 4 separate tragic events unfolded right in front of our eyes. Years later we visited the sites to our respect to this tragedy.
  • edited September 2021
    Was watching CNBC. I’ll never forget the (almost quizzical) intonation and semi-staggered delivery of lead announcer Mark Haines when he / they realized a second plane had just impacted.

Haines: “Than (pause) this was no accident.” - Silence.

I’ve visited the pool with the names enshrined three times in recent years. Dad was a fireman. So always the first (tearful) thought is of those guys donning their uniforms in the morning (or whenever their workday began), saying goodby to their families and walking out the front door.

The pool is tranquil - surreal. There one may think deeply of man’s destructive nature as well as his achievements. A 15 minute visit amply devoted may beget a deeper appreciation of both sides of the human species than might hours in the company of Dickens, Shakespeare, Golding or Twain. Highly recommend.
  • I was on family get together , when the TV broke the news of first tower getting hit. For some reason it seemed this was the third attempt to bring them DOWN ! So I waited for the 2/nd tower to take a hit & it did !! A very very sad & grief stricken day for Americans that day. Another Pearl Harbor , only on bystanders & not the armed forces.
    Derf
  • It was horrible. I was in the car when I heard the news on the radio, headed to preside at a funeral. Later, I watched tv coverage in the office, there, for a little while. I was so shocked, I guess I was numb for at least the rest of the day.
  • edited September 2021
    This was a truly horrible event.
    A friend called and left a voicemail shortly after the first plane struck one of the towers.
    I was still in bed (West Coast) and thought a terrible accident had occurred.
    After the second plane struck the other tower, I realized this was no accident and the U.S. was attacked.
    I started a new training program on the same day.
    For several weeks, it was very difficult to focus on my classes.
    The only good to come out of this was that it brought our country closer together.
    Unfortunately, that spirit disappeared long ago.
  • @Observant1-
    I was still in bed in SF when my wife woke me, and we also thought a terrible accident had occurred. As the second plane struck the other tower, we too realized this was no accident and the U.S. was attacked. Unforgettable.