Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Elon Musk to Host SNL May 8

edited April 2021 in Off-Topic
I have no problem with that. I’d settle for 50 % of that guy’s smarts and / or energy level.

Reported in the WSJ

Comments

• edited April 2021
    Meh. I agree he's smart and energetic, but I'm not sure why there is an assumption in mass media that someone who is famous for one thing is necessarily great at everything? It's sort of like having actors and reality TV stars in politics. In other words, I don't find Musk particularly funny. He was in the Big Bang Theory once but was basically playing himself and the other actors--Simon Helberg who is a truly talented comic--were funny around him or off him. I expect as much at SNL. He'll be a wooden prop for them to play with.
  • Steve Martin holds the record as a SNL host. The producer said he memorized his script readily and the guy is fun to watch. Once Donald Trump hosted the show but he cannot follow the prompt and went off on his own. The producers figured that either he cannot read or had bad eyesight. Trump was never invited back.
  • edited April 2021
    “... I'm not sure why there is an assumption in mass media that someone who is famous for one thing is necessarily great at everything? It's sort of like having actors and reality TV stars in politics.”

Well - Commercial TV in general stinks, and I’m not a regular viewer of SNL. Occasionally the opening 5-10 minute salvo is brilliant. Generally, the show’s a far cry from its hey-day. Do realize that Musk will be the “MC”. Comedic ability isn’t a requisite. To a degree SNL chooses someone for the role who’s admired by the public in whatever life endeavor they’ve chosen. Lots of politicians.

I’ve heard Musk interviewed in various formats and I’ll say he’s an engaging speaker - something you don’t normally see with persons of his intellect and training (business & physics). He’s big on settling Mars - viewing it as a way to extend the human species after Earth is wasted due to thermo-nuclear war or other folly. Can’t say I disagree with him - and who am I to second-guess on that subject a man with an estimated 155 IQ?

Some background on Musk.

- 25 greatest achievements

- estimated IQ

- for comparison, Einstein’s IQ

- The 25 achievements posted omitted Starlink, here’s a link that addresses it.

Not intended as adulation. (And there’s aspects of his life / methods I don’t necessarily like.) But a lot of OT threads don’t go anywhere. So just wanted to add some substance to this one, whether one is a Musk fan or not.
  • edited April 2021
    There will be at least one bit on Mars, and one on electric cars and perhaps one on billionaires. Musk will probably stand there good-naturedly and be a good sport, which is what one should do if one is a billionaire. I would say one of the funniest non-actor/comedian appearances occurred when Sarah Palin hosted, and a very pregnant Amy Poehler did her rap around her, but that was all Poehler's doing.