Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Day at the Beach / Plane ditches along busy stretch of Coca Beach

edited April 2021 in Off-Topic
No one injured from what I can tell. Thanks to @Catch22 for the badly needed assistance. The WWII era plane was participating in a nearby air show when it lost power. Looks like a routine engine-out water landing, Nice video.

Originally posted story / video

Comments

• They survived? Hope no one was hurt.
  • edited April 2021
    @Crash - Pilot survived. Came close to swimmers.
  • edited April 2021
    @hank and @Crash.

More coffee at table 2, please.

The updated link is a July, 2014 incident. Being a long time student of the madness and machines of World Wars, the photo in the new link is definitely not a WW2 Avenger.

From a local tv report: "Rescue crews were immediately at the scene. The pilot is expected to be OK. There were no other injuries as a result of the water landing."

The aircraft was part of an ongoing Cocoa Beach airshow,which included WW2 aircraft.

ADD: From Valiant air command facebook:
    Salvage efforts for our stricken TBM will continue through the night. We are planning to float her to the Port Canaveral harbor area and crane her out there.
    We are thankful that our pilot walked away unscathed from the incident. We are also thankful for all of your comments of support you have sent us this day.
  • edited April 2021
    My bad. Dumb of me. Thanks for catching it @Catch22. Hell - the second story I earlier linked shows a Cessna - not a WWII vintage plane. Does make me wonder how safe Florida beaches are when a father swimming can be killed and his young daughter critically injured by some idiot landing a plane on the beach. However, that was an entirely different (2014) incident.
  • TBF Avenger was a much needed replacement for the obsolete Douglas TBD Devastator which was withdrawn from service after the Midway debacle.
  • Another model in use at the Battle of Midway. Already obsolete, by then:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_F2A_Buffalo