Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Marketfield Fund Manager Commentary

edited March 2013 in Off-Topic
He didn't go to Economics class with Krugman or Robert Reich!
http://www.nylinvestments.com/polos/MSMK11-021326003.pdf

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Quite the epic letter (as manager commentaries go) and an interesting read. Remains a large holding for me and I don't see that changing.

While I don't always agree with it, I think it's a unique (in that it's really the only global long/short fund of note) and flexible fund, and it's good to have some managers who you don't entirely agree with and who are flexible and have demonstrated success.

I do get a little concerned when multiple funds start shorting treasuries (Whitebox, Marketfield, CGM Focus) that it it's not going to go the way everyone starts thinking it will (or maybe nearly as quickly as they think it might), but who knows.
  • Reply to @scott: I hold MFLDX along with BRUFX and FPACX as my core holdings four years into retirement.Three fund managers I trust for asset allocation and as you say,the fund structure to go most anywhere in the investment universe.I want to be short sometimes and these managers make those decisions for me without being actual long/short funds. Like you say ,who knows.MFLDX is short EM bonds,and I'm long via DBLNX,TGINX and MAINX.Trimmed some SATMX and WSCVX today.Thanks for all your insight for all of us.