Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

COVID Relief Bill & the removal of the FPL ACA Cliff

Biden’s relief bill makes Obamacare subsidies available to more people by removing the income cap on subsidy eligibility. Currently, subsidies are available only to people with income below 400 percent of the federal poverty level—$51,520 for an individual and $106,000 for a family of four. The proposal also reduces a person’s maximum spending on premiums for benchmark coverage to 8.5 percent of income from 10 percent.
bidens-covid-19-bill-expands-obamacare-subsidies-that-benefit-affluent

Comments

• beebee
    edited March 2021
    Opinion Pieces:

Impact of Key Provisions of the House COVID-19 Relief Proposal on Marketplace Premiums
    impact-of-key-provisions-of-the-house-covid-19-relief-proposal-on-marketplace-premiums

WSJ Article:
    supersizing-obamacare-subsidies
  • edited March 2021
    Stopped reading the WSJ one when I read "The Obamacare 'subsidy cliff' is poor policy that punishes Americans for working and earning more...." Have to read WSJ opinion pieces with an entire shaker full of grains of salt. Obamacare is flawed and the best solution would be Medicare for all with caps on pharmaceutical, medical device and procedure pricing, but the notion that trying to give more people assistance via the flawed Obamacare so they can get healthcare is bad is not only stupid economically in my book--untreated illness that could've been cured or ameliorated is expensive ultimately--but inhumane. Healthcare should be a right every citizen is entitled to, not an overpriced product we consume, and if you don't have the money bankrupts you.
  • beebee
    edited March 2021
    I thought the Kaiser Health article was very meaty. I experienced first hand how medicare works (cared for family member for 5 years) and I would have no problem with Medicare as a "national health care for all" platform.

We'd pay for premiums through a sliding scale payroll deduction...would look like about 10% of income.
  • "Healthcare should be a right every citizen is entitled to, not an overpriced product we consume, and if you don't have the money bankrupts you." Could not agree with you MORE.