Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Great shot of damaged 777 fan blades

edited February 2021 in Off-Topic
First saw this in the WSJ. An amazing shot. Note that the blades really are hollow inside (I guess to reduce weight). Thankfully nobody was harmed in this near miss. Landing that 777 with a sizable load of fuel onboard couldn’t have been easy,

Other articles welcome.

Click on Article to view photo.

Comments

• Does everyone get free laundry service after an aborted flight like that?
  • edited February 2021
    Here's hank's pic, apparently from a website called "Madness Hub". Nothing that a little superglue won't take care of.

And a shot of what's left of the engine:

Looks like the pilots earned their pay on that one.
  • edited February 2021
    I remember reading a newspaper write-up on the Boeing 777 in the spring of 1995 shortly before it entered service. Was revolutionary at the time because until than jumbo (twin aisle) jetliners had always had at least 3 engines, which provided more redundancy. The key to going to just 2 engines for extended over water flight was getting the engine reliability numbers high enough through testing to make it safe.

It’s been a good plane - though becoming outdated. I’ve been on one once - crossing over from London on an American flight couple years ago. Normally in this situation pilots would dump a substantial amount of fuel to get the landing weight down for a safe landing. In this case they apparently thought that too risky with the fire and possibly compromised airframe.

Unrelated: The 737 is somewhat unique in that it lacks fuel dump capability. I was on one that needed to return to the airport after takeoff once and what the pilots did was circle at low altitude over water for 20 minutes (increasing drag) to burn off a quantity of fuel & lower the weight before landing on the short runnway.