Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar Crowd Sense

I just noticed this. M* is counting the number of page views that funds (including ETFs) get and grouping funds accordingly into thirds: high, middle, and low. I can't tell whether there's any distinction made between types of funds beyond the fact that M* is doing this only for domestic funds.

M* considers this "attention" to offer some sort of "signal". M* also shows, month by month, whether attention is rising, stable, or falling. Finally, on the same "crowd source" page for a fund, it summarizes the fund's medal rating (regardless of whether it is a true analyst rating or one done by machine): high (bronze or better), medium (neutral), low (negative).

You must be logged in to see this, and probably a premium subscriber. It seems fairly useless to me because well known funds will get more attention, period. And while their analyst write-ups tend to have some useful information, I find their medal ratings useless.

Here's M*'s two page description of "Crowd Sense Signals".
https://www.morningstar.com/content/dam/marketing/shared/pdfs/Research/1014981.pdf

If it is available to you, you'll find "crowd sense" next to the "parent" tab under the fund name.

Comments