Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IPAD holder/carrier. Recommendations please.

A great device, but its size and body cause it to be slippery to hold; especially when taking pics.
Have you found a carrier that will let one have a firm grip for the IPAD?

Thank you.
Take care of you and yours,
Catch

Comments

• Wirecutter does a good job reviewing various items.
    Here's their review of iPad cases.
    Link
  • There are a wide range of protective cases for iPad, iPad Pro and iPad mini of many generations. We use iPads in our family and found a good quality protective case help to ensure long live. Features you should be looking for are:

1. Silicon case (soft rubber) with bumper corners for steady grip and accidental fall
    2. Plastic screen to protect against scratches
    3. Doors for external outlets to improve waterproofing

Otterbox is the gold standard but they are quite expensive, often upward in $100 range. We have had good luck with iBlason cases (dual layer cases) on iPads and iPhones at 50% the cost of Otterbox cases. You can search for the specific case for your model for proper fit.
    https://i-blason.com/products/ipad-pro-9-7-armorbox-dual-layer-full-body-protective-case-pink

Today there are lots more choices and user reviews. For your purpose, you need to focus on the case material.
  • edited December 2020
    catch22 said:

A great device, but its size and body cause it to be slippery to hold; especially when taking pics.
    Have you found a carrier that will let one have a firm grip for the IPAD?

I have a lot of trouble “keeping a firm grip on things” in general ...:)

Ipads come now in several sizes. Great devices. The smaller one (Ipad Mini) might be best for your purpose. While I love to keep my ipads in cases, the permanent style cases tend to get in the way and sometimes obscure the camera lens when doing photography. I’d probably just use a cheap “slip case” that zips closed and allows complete removal of device when shooting photos. But that’s just me.

Lots of reviews on cases on Amazon, Some are “hard shell” type which grip only the 4 corners. Advantage is near 100% view of screen. Others have borders going all the way around, Nicer look, but encroaches just slightly on the screen and detracts from being able to feel the edges with the finger..

I always seek out genuine leather for these type of products. Higher priced it be. But be careful. “PU leather” isn’t really leather at all - just an artificial substance that doesn’t look or wear well.

• “PU leather”

@hank- does that mean that it has a bad odor?