Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tolls

If the toll takers are not present, when passing through, is one legally required to pay that toll by other means ? Internet, check, or in person ?
Derf

Comments

• If it's a bridge, look under it and pay the troll. :)
  • Funny OJ.

I would pay but that’s how I was raised.
  • Derf-I live in Florida and our EZPass and Sunpass toll systems take a picture of your license plate and send you a bill if you don't pay-so I would guess that state government may be sending you a bill in the near future.
  • When I travel in FL and NJ, I make sure to get a car equipped with an electronic toll pass that pays the toll booths automatically. Out west there are few toll roads.
  • Got the bill today. My beef , if they pulled the toll takers to protect them from C- 19, then put up some money counters as they use to have when tolls were reasonable !!!
    Throw in your 30 to 50 cents a be on your way.
    @Sven , this happen in Illinois on the way to OTB. Guess they will collect twice.
    Have a peaceful Thanksgiving, Derf
  • +1 Illinois needs to ensure alternative payment methods like money counters/change baskets are available at any unstaffed toll booths !
  • If you live in areas where tolls road are common, make sure you get an electronic device for your vehicle. Every time when your vehicle pass a toll booth, they take a picture of your license plate and bill you later if you did not pay the toll. I learned the hard way year ago in Chicago and the bill of almost 10X more than $2 toll! These days I always ask for an electronic toll pass for rental cars.
  • It's extortion, it really is. In Massachusetts, it was supposed to be cost-cutting. They don't have to pay the toll-takers. But the tolls are higher. And not having an electronic gadget tied to a credit card in order to automatically pay the toll means that your after-the-fact toll bill will be much higher. I note @carew388's remark. It really is legalized extortion. It makes my blood boil. No toll roads here, and not many out west. I think there is a PRIVATELY built and operated toll road in Orange County, California. I suppose they can charge whatever they want, because they are private: zero accountability. ...I deeply resented being painted into a corner by this cash-less toll system on the Massachusetts Turnpike. You don't have to get the gadget from MassDOT. But if you don't, and pre-pay, so that they can automatically take your money, then the alternative is to let them send you a bill, and they use that as an excuse to gouge you. ..... Then there was the situation when our doctor-friend borrowed our car because hers was being worked on. But we did not have the gadget yet. So, she went through the auto-pay lane, not thinking about it. (This was when you still had the choice to pay a human there, in the booth.) We received FOUR citations for $50 each. Of course, she paid them. But I asked myself: how f*****g rich do you need to be, not to worry about $200 in fines?
  • @Crash : I'm glad I don't live in Massachusetts !! 3 trips through toll booth cost me $14-$15, which included fee for processing. Give the toll-takers their covid-19 shots & put them back to work !

Stay Safe, Derf
  • @Crash, you are right that there is a toll road in Orange county, CA. These days I use my map app to review my trip to ensure I don't get surprise like I did in FL and IL. This helps to avoid the gouging and headache later. The local residences all have an electronic device that pay these tolls automatically. Think these companies make more money from the penalty than the small tolls they received legally (similar concept to 20% interest rate on credit cards).
  • @Derf and @Sven Absolutely correct!
  • edited January 2021
    At least that Orange County toll road is clearly marked by highway signage as an option to continuing on the freeway. I've never found a need to use it, but we're only down that way once a year or so.