Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CNBC Gets Kinky About the Markets

edited October 2020 in Other Investing
Headline: "The stock market appears to be coiling for a tension release" https://cnbc.com/2020/10/04/the-stock-market-appears-to-be-coiling-for-a-tension-release-.html
This weird fetishization of stocks in the U.S. has reached the creepy stage. Another Freudian slip in the article: "The stock market has been vibrating within a tight range for a month...."

Comments

• +1.
    The media and especially CNBC has been making constant bombastic headlines about investing/markets to keep viewers/readers watching/reading.

• Well, that's one way to make it more .... interesting. LOL
  • edited October 2020
    funny. I've stopped watching, actually. I like to get up late here. I don't have to wait past my first cup of coffee to get the day's-end numbers from back East. On an unrelated note, I'm hoping the good beach weather is not completely gone for the season. On the Windward side of Oahu, it's tropical alright, but we get the clouds rolling in from the ocean, always. Wall-to-wall sunshine is actually rare here. Kinky? I often need to curl-up in the water, nice and tight, because the pleasure can be overwhelming. ;)
  • Crash said:

funny. I've stopped watching, actually. I like to get up late here. I don't have to wait past my first cup of coffee to get the day's-end numbers from back East. On an unrelated note, I'm hoping the good beach weather is not completely gone for the season. On the Windward side of Oahu, it's tropical alright, but we get the clouds rolling in from the ocean, always. Wall-to-wall sunshine is actually rare here. Kinky? I often need to curl-up in the water, nice and tight, because the pleasure can be overwhelming. ;)

LOL. I have stopped watching as well. For awhile, I was trying to watch a different news channel every morning, but it was giving me mental fatigue. Going from CNN to Fox News on back to back mornings, is like going from one extreme the other. My brain wiring almost lost it. Yes, let's chat beaches instead. But not in Florida where hurricanes seem to be passing through nonstop betwen covid outbreaks. Or the whole pacific coast, which is blanketed in smoke.

• i prefer Bloomberg on my cable network.
  • Yes, I can get them. The big fellow with the glasses in the morning makes me think. Yes, I just found him. Tom Keene. And Scarlet Fu could recite the phone book, I'd be there.

• I've always preferred Bloomberg. I like my business TV to be boring and intellectual, not flashy and sensational. :/
  • Was watching CNBC a few weeks ago at about 4:30AM and they had a commercial
    for phone sex. Someone screwed up.
  • Mitchelg said:

Was watching CNBC a few weeks ago at about 4:30AM and they had a commercial
    for phone sex. Someone screwed up.

Or a hot new sector in the world of covid. Might already be an etf covering it.
  • Yes- new iShares etf HOT , promoted by Jeffrey Gundlach !
  • edited October 2020
    snark by the way.