Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are your 5 or 6 largest holdings? *Or where are the bulk of your holdings?*

2»

Comments

• @Baseball_Fan,
    I'm a trader. I don't care what happened in the past but what can make me money now. I do care about volatility/risk when I select funds.
    When a black swan shows up is when ugly things happen and you must avoid risky funds.
    What many forget already is that higher-rated bond were down too and only after the Fed intervention stock + bond funds started doing better.

Examples: LQD=Investment grade (not junk) corp. A respectable index was down peak to trough over 18%.
  • I'm a young whippersnapper compared to most people on this board (38) so I'm willing to take on more risk than most others here. My largest holdings are:

AAPL
    PRGTX
    PRMTX
    MSFT
    WAMCX

I'd like to include AMZN as a holding but it's well represented in PRMTX and PRGTX. Concern about government interference in AMZN from both sides of the aisle have kept me from owning it outright. I also have a toehold in AKREX.

My family now includes 3 wonderful kids who drive my wife and I bat shit crazy but we love them nonetheless:)
  • edited September 2020
    Derf said:

Good morning @hank : "One thing I like at Max Funds is the maximum 1-year loss they envision. Worst case scenario for sure. Where it’s helpful to me is in looking for / comparing relatively ”safe” funds to meet a certain portfolio need. "
    Is there facts as to how close they come to ringing that bell, so to speak ? Is there a look back section ?
    Stay Safe, Derf

Hi Derf - They claim some kind of “proprietary” system I think. (Doesn’t everyone?:)) My understanding is it’s run by Max Ferris who has appeared often on Fox as a financial / investment commentator. I don’t know if he still does. Never cared for Fox’s financial programming - but recall him being one of the better ones among the bunch.

I just ran a few lower risk funds through MaxFunds and - yikes - they really derate them (is that a word?). RPSIX comes in with a WCS (worst case scenario) of -40%. A favorite of mine, TRRIX weighs in at -45%. And Price’s venerable (and conservative) PRFDX scores a wopping -70% WCS.
    Maybe ol’ Max knows something about the coming cliff? Or maybe he needs to change his whisky brand. I really don’t know.

To answer your question, @Derf - There’s no “look back section.” I can, however, appreciate and agree with their relative risk assessment of the 3 funds just cited, having owned all of them at one time or another. But the depth to which each might fall seems to me a bit exaggerated.

Regards

• @hank , Thank you for your come back. Derate works for me.

Stay Safe, Derf
  • FD1000 said:

Derf said:

@FD1000; I'm guessing you bought in around 3/25/20 ?
    Derf

Nope, I sold over 90% at the end of 02/2020 and the rest days later.
    Made several good trades with QQQ+PCI in 03/2020.
    Start investing back in bond funds to over 99+% in 04/2020.
    I had a huge % in GWMEX for several months. I owned IOFIX only in the last several weeks.

I wish I was brave enough to buy IOFIX on 3/25/2020. It made over 50% since then.

How do you square owning IOFIX with your later comment in this string to avoid risky funds?
  • edited September 2020
    wxman123 said:

FD1000 said:

Derf said:

@FD1000; I'm guessing you bought in around 3/25/20 ?
    Derf

Nope, I sold over 90% at the end of 02/2020 and the rest days later.
    Made several good trades with QQQ+PCI in 03/2020.
    Start investing back in bond funds to over 99+% in 04/2020.
    I had a huge % in GWMEX for several months. I owned IOFIX only in the last several weeks.

I wish I was brave enough to buy IOFIX on 3/25/2020. It made over 50% since then.

How do you square owning IOFIX with your later comment in this string to avoid risky funds?
    I'm a trader and don't recommend what I do to others. My posts are generic unless someone asks me specifically about my portfolio.

This thread isn't about avoiding risky funds. Please read the original posts "What are your 5 or 6 largest holdings? *Or where are the bulk of your holdings?"

BTW, I don't believe in just lower risk funds, I believe in great risk/reward funds. You should look for funds that have good performance but also good risk attributes(SD, Max Draw, Sharpe, Sortino).
    For allocation my go 2 funds are:
    Moderate=PRWCX. In the last several years VLAIX is good too.
    Conservative=VWINX,VWIAX