Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I don't dispute that water shortage is a problem. Over here in Austin, TX area lake Travis is at very low levels over several years and the "sometime" island on the lake has become permanent fixture and the marinas had to build extended platforms for the docks they dragged further into the lake. Rice farmers on lower Colorado river is in dire need as urban water needs restricted their take. So it is a real problem.

However, a lot of infrastructure investment run over budget, struggle to be profitable for initial investors. If they become lucrative investments indices and active managers with diversified sector will probably allocate more to this area. I do not generally see the need to have such specific niche investments for my portfolio.
  • edited March 2013
    "DECATUR, Ill. -- At the height of this year's drought, decision-makers at the agribusiness giant Archer Daniels Midland kept an uneasy eye on the reservoir down the hill from their headquarters.

At one point, the water level fell to within 2 inches of the point where the company was in danger of being told for the first time ever that it couldn't draw as much as it wanted. The company uses millions of gallons of water per day to turn corn and soybeans into everything from ethanol and cattle feed to cocoa and a sweetener used in soft drinks and many other foods."

"With half of Minnesota, the "Land of 10,000 Lakes," still in deep drought, the Department of Natural Resources told 50 water users, including several major ones, to stop drawing from rivers and streams in October.

They included a paper plant owned by Sappi North America and a ceiling panel factory owned by USG Corp."

http://www.thonline.com/news/iowa-illinois-wisconsin/article_57c83eff-a14f-5c9d-a355-063f23babcf9.html