Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dumb & Dumber: CNBC taking over PBS's Nightly Business Report

Comments

• edited March 2013
    "Tyler Mathisen of CNBC." Yeesh, CNBC takes over and they bring in their most lackluster (and that's saying something.)

Viewership is down across the board for these programs, and CNBC (which is doing terribly but still large in comparison to its peers) is trying to farm itself out and take a bit more of what's left. You can see a number of CNBC anchors often looking awkward on the Today Show on Saturday morning, too.

You can see the Google searches for "stocks" and "bonds" - viewership for these programs continues South and even web searches for the terms are lower.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2013/03/20130301_goog_1.jpg

• edited March 2013
    Reply to @scott: Be careful what you wish for. This is after dinner viewing in our home. Want Cramer for desert? ....... These networks took off in the hey-days of the 90s when markets only seemed to go up. Every Tom Dick & Harry was watching. Also - there's the Internet now where so much is available. Still, sure would like some intelligent progaming on TV. They had CNN on when working out at the gym today. Couple of "headline" stories: (1) school teaching sex to 5 year olds and (2) man dies when bed is swallowed by sink-hole. Yikes - spare me!
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @hank: "Also ... there's the Internet now where so much is available"

I have an app called Taptu on my phone. The App takes sites like Seeking Alpha and Bloomberg and allows one to easily browse through all of the news stories, as they are published, all in one place (all on one screen), easily organized. Those are just some of the business things I have - you can use science, entertainment and other sources. Anyone reading this - great, highly useful and free app.

"They had CNN on when working out at the gym today. Couple of "headline" stories: (1) school teaching sex to 5 year olds and (2) man dies when bed is swallowed by sink-hole. Yikes - spare me!"

Did the Kardashians have a day off?

• edited March 2013
    Reply to @scott: I happen to listen/watch Bloomberg TV these days more often. Less political pandering more useful info.

However, I have attempted to watch Fox Business Network (FBN). No wonder CNBC is still watched as FBN sucks a lot more. Too little business and market, too much political crap of the sort found on Regular Fox. In fact, if you removed the rolling ticker there would be not much difference.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @Maurice: Not big TV fan either. But have always enjoyed a good news program in the after-dinner hour. Goes back to Cronkite I guess. Until recently, PBS News Hour fit that bill & NBR came right after. Now they've dumbed-down the former and handed the latter over to the clowns. Sign of the times yes - but not a very good one. And yes, have Bloomberg on satellite in the car & listen alot. A cut above the others. Matter of fact, there's some pretty engaging stuff on sat radio - BBC being one such choice. Take care.
  • Ya, like the man said: Dumb and dumber.
  • Well, you could always go to Northern Sun and buy the bumper sticker: "Do you keep hearing crazy voices? Turn off Fox news." I've personally never had the courage to post it in the company lounge, and someone might ram your car, so maybe it's a non-starter.
  • edited March 2013
    Hello,

I have watched NBR for a good number of years and enjoyed it very much. I'll give a look see to the new for the next couple of weeks or so and if it no longer peeks my interest ... Well, for me, the Speed Channel is there ... and, I guess I'll watch the cars run the strip on Pass Time. Now if you watch Pass Time over the Nightly Business Report ... Then you know it must really *uck.

Have a good one.

Skeeter
  • msf
    edited March 2013
    Brings to mind PBS's dumping of Louis Rukeyser a decade ago, and bringing in Fortune magazine to run the show. Ironically, Rukeyser went over to CNBC to continue his show.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com:8080/news2002/jun02/jun24/5_fri/news2friday.html

Edit - just noticed that "PBS" brings up Powershares Dynamic Media. Hmmm.
  • Hi Hank. The bad news is CNBS will be used for the NBR. The good news is it won't be Fox News.

Let's face it. Today, News shows are now just entertainment shows. The more they can entertain or stir emotion, the better ratings they get from their like-minded viewers. "Just the news" can be quite boring. PBS is boring, though that is still the only network I think is 'fair and balanced'. I still trust PBS over all others.