Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Late summer reading: Can't find hank's old thread

Jordan Peterson, from back n 1999. "Maps of Meaning: The Architecture Of Belief."
Professional Clinical Psychologist and Professor of Psych. at Univ. of Toronto. It's a thick AND dense book. But it's right up my alley.

Using the vocabulary/nomenclature of his own discipline, he elucidates (to start with, in ch. One) an item which from my own perspective, I've noticed and referred to as "Science-olatry." The "hard" sciences have taken possession of Epistomology in our day: if something is not observable, measurable, logical and tangible, then it's just not REAL. Forget about it. It's quaint, maybe amusing, but not worth our time.

...Wrong. Peterson is a Jungian, and from that foundation, he brilliantly spells out the way that classical Myths are innately human. They can even be categorized, described and connected, not to mention interpreted and plumbed. The relationship between Myth and Religion is well known and understood. The book is already supremely engrossing. But it's far from an "easy read." If you're interested in psychology, this one might just be up your alley, too.