Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The rise of the upper middle class

Comments

• Decline of the middle class, or a skewing within the middle class?

1967: 84% middle class
    2016: 85% middle class

The working class is another story. As the WaPo concluded: "Falling behind is the lower middle class, once called the working class."
  • edited August 2020
    The change in the skewing within the middle class looks to me to be a positive development.

Three quick thoughts emerged from my morning walk:

1. It is encouraging the "real" incomes of Americans have in general increased through recent decades.

2. The chart suggests two reasonable sources of additional tax funds as needed to address widely perceived inequities in the current distribution of assets and incomes in the population: the upper class (the rich) and the upper middle class.

3. My personal list of priority inequities that need to be mitigated: (1) access to adequate housing and medical care, (2) access to enhanced educational opportunities for disadvantaged children, and (3) access to enhanced job training and retraining opportunities.