Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gold stocks vs gold: it's rocket time

https://www.kitco.com/commentaries/2020-06-02/Gold-stocks-vs-gold-it-s-rocket-time.html

Gold stocks vs gold: it's rocket time
Stewart Thomson Stewart Thomson

/A year ago, gold stock investors had to choose their stocks carefully. In contrast, now it’s hard to find a gold stock that isn’t roaring higher!/

Comments

• Howdy folks,

Thanks johnN. Kitco is the primary site for all things precious metals. That's where the miners are listed. Right now, I'm riding SGLDX and PRPFX taxable. In my deferred acct, I'm on CEF, SLV, SILJ, GDXJ for ETFs. Note that I only have CEF and SLV for giggles as they're bullion ETFs and rono does NOT trust most of them. My CEF above is Sprott and they actually audit their holdings. Most of the other paper products double and triple count the actual bullion in vaults. It's mostly legal and not really a conspiracy but just something that any good investor with the ability to impact the market is wont to do.

For giggles and serious nosebleed volatility I'm holding ISVLF, KOOYF, and TKRFF.

https://www.kitco.com/stocks/ gold stocks

and my favorite place to play in the whole wide world:

http://www.kitcosilver.com/equities.html

Which speaks to why I prefer playing silver to gold and miners to bullion. Leverage. In the Hunt Bros market, gold went up 2-3x while silver went up 10x. Right now the gold/silver ratio is around 100 or so when historically it was 17 to 1. That's way too low for today but 100 is a tad too high. One way to play this is to buy in the same ratio as the ratio. For example, at this 1 to 100 ratio, for every ounce of gold you buy 100 oz. of silver. When the g/s ratio changes so does your buying. As for the miners, geez folks, the bullion market is so incredibly fiddled with on top of the ETF impact, I really don't much care for it. I was never one for paper gold, but today . . . paper bullion is like looking into a can of worms. If you want easy physical, you can hide a tube of American Gold Eagles in a Oatmeal box. It's the size of a quarter and maybe 2" tall. An AGE would cost about $1800 each so a tube is worth ~$36K. Or bling - for you, the spouse, the dog. feh. Easy.

The miners track the price of bullion BUT they also are in a completely different market. Most of your precious metal mutual funds contain ONLY mining stocks and little if no bullion.

BTW, I'm probably at somewhere between 2 and 3 units long PMs.

and so it goes,

peace, and flatten the curve,

rono

• edited June 2020
    One of colleague at work got up to 10% Portfolio in PM both equities and hard assets

https://www.apmex.com/
    Is the website that he recommended to buy physical bullions or texasmetal
  • @rono, would you mind sharing your cost / share for ISVLF, KOOYF, and TKRFF?
  • Hi Vintage,

Hope you're doing well and being safe.

First off, I always maintain a couple of canaries to alert me to movement in the sector. Good or bad, this is where I like to play. Collecting coins for 65 years does things to you.

I had purchases of ISVLF 1/30/19 @ .2231, 3/24/20 @ .2749, 4/6/20 @ .235. (currently @ .499)

KOOYF 3/24/20 @ .16 (currently @ .255)

TKRFF most recent on 4/6/20 @ .088 (currently @ .1405)

Please keep in mind that these are penny silver mining stocks and you can rest assured that you will see massive volatility. It is COMMON to see 10% point swings in a day.

And please let me repeat that the vast majority of precious metal mutual funds consist of mining stocks, albeit gold dominate. The bullion plays are mostly ETFs. Be very careful with bullion ETFs as they are taxable at collectible rates (i.e. keep them in deferred or exempt accounts). And I will mention again, I do not like bullion ETFs. Too many accounting issues that give me the creeps. For bullion, the first and foremost alternative is REAL PHYSICAL BULLION. Geez, go with bling is you must. For playing the sector, I like the mining stocks and over the years, silver has been my investment vehicle of choice. Originally per force as a GI bill econ major selling my restaurant stash into the Hunt Bros attempt to corner the market. Silver went up 10x to ~$50. Gold went up 2-3 to $850. Rono partied like a bloody maniac.

I got into the miners during the Big Bonanza from 2002 to 2011. The leverage is enormous. I was buying Silver Wheaton between $2-4 per and it went to $43. ChaChing! My one and only Home Run.

and so it goes,

peace and flatten the curve,

rono

• @rono TYVM for detailed explanation.