Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

S&P 500 Stocks Hanging By A Thread As Macy’s Is Booted Off

edited April 2020 in Other Investing
https://www.gurufocus.com/news/1094700/sp-500-stocks-hanging-by-a-thread-as-macys-is-booted-off

/S&P 500 Stocks Hanging By A Thread As Macy’s Is Booted Off
S&P Global Indices disclosed on April 1 that department store retail giant Macy’s (NYSE:M) “will be removed from the S&P 500 effective prior to the open of trading on Monday, April 6.” The company will be moved to the S&P 600 SmallCap Index instead, and it will be replaced by Carrier Global Corp. (NYSE:CARRW), an air conditioning company being spun off of United Technologies (UTX). According to S&P Global Indices, Macy’s no longer belongs on the S&P 500 because of its low market cap and low growth expectations./

Unbelievable. One of America's great brand name would no longer be in sp500

Comments

• msf
    edited April 2020
    What I found surprising when I first saw the announcement was the size of the drop - Macy's was moved to the S&P 600, not the S&P 400 (midcap).
  • Just another example of how I am out of my league at MFO. I always thought of "small cap" as "might someday be" not as "has been". As such, I never really educated myself.