Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M *: Fidelity and Putnam Among Fund Families Duped by Longtop

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Any regulators going to do much about making sure this isn't happening on an ongoing basis with these Chinese IPOs? (Crickets.) No? Okay.

Broker: "We have this new Chinese IPO. The auditor left, and when I looked up the company address on Google Earth, it was just a cow field."

Fund Manager: "What do they do?"

Broker: "Social networking. It's the Chinese version of (fill in whatever fad tech company you like.)"

Fund Manager: (craps self) "I'll take EVERY SHARE YOU HAVE!"

Broker: But, but the CEO appears to be a cow.

Fund Manager: "I don't care, it's the Chinese Facebook! I'm sure it'll be huge!"

The Russians are now getting in on the act, too. There was the "Russian Google" IPO this week (Yandex.)
  • Same thing happened in Texas a few years ago. I think the company had the name Enron.
    I think the regulators have their hands full with unscrupulous U.S. firms.

Now, we have 3 place to avoid investing, if we are going to pull up the big umbrella of bashing.
  • A fool and his money are soon parted!