Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Market wound tight

Sorry got it from email..there link to join at bottom

Markets Wound Tight

Logo
Chart Advisor | Focus on the Price

By Gordon Scott, CMT

Advertisement

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

1. Markets Rise as Utility Stocks Drop

2. Interest Rates Could Rise and Certain Stocks will Benefit

3. Investors May be Finding Their Way Back to GE

Market Moves

In the current, low-impact news environment, the major market indexes have held in tight trading ranges each day for the last twelve trading sessions. Later this week or next, that dynamic may change as investors decide to make changes in their portfolio. While the S&P 500 (SPX) an Nasdaq 100 (NDX) rose slightly on the day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJX) remained essentially unchanged.

However Fed Chair Jerome Powell will testify before Joint Economic Committee members in Washington D.C. on Wednesday and on Thursday. In the absence of other news, this could change investors perceptions about the importance of what is happening in the U.S. economy. Their subsequent reaction might move market prices to a greater extent than they have moved in recent days. It wouldn't be the first time traders and investors overreacted to the Fed Chair's statements.

If the news is positive then market watchers might notice the impact on semiconductor manufacturers, which began a new upward trend this quarter. Among stocks in that industry, two stand out: Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and Nvidia (NVDA), both of which may be benefiting from a renewed popular interest in Bitcoin (see chart below).

Interest Rates Could Rise and Certain Stocks will Benefit

For the third time this year, the Federal Reserve cut its target lending rate. However that hasn't stopped the 10-year Treasury Note index (TNX) from rising significantly since October 1. It may be that markets eager to attract investors need to lift rates in order to entice more bond buyers to the table, but whatever the reason for increasing rates it is usually a drag on the stock market and a mathematical negative to the bond market.

But not all investments will find this condition to be a headwind. Consider that shares of TD Ameritrade (AMTD), typically rise with the anticipation of higher interest rates. That's because the analysts know that the company's business model relies heavily on gains it makes from its holdings as interest rates rise. Stocks in the financial sector, as tracked by State Street's SPDR Financial Sector Index ETF (XLF), also tend to trend with rising interest rates (see chart below). Lastly, Barclays UltraShort 20+ Year Treasury fund (TBT), which trades as an ETF with an inverse relationship to bond prices, is also tracking the rise of interest rates.

Read more:

AMD vs. NVIDIA: Which Stock Is a Better Buy?

Why Corporate America Is Bullish on the Economy

Why Investors Are Buying Beaten Up Assets

Investors May be Finding Their Way Back to GE

Shares of General Electric (GE) have made the best eight-day run in the stock's storied history. Prices have jumped based on the reports from GE's most recent quarterly earnings call, which were optimistic about the company's future prospects.

The Bottom Line

The trading range stocks have been constrained to over the past twelve trading sessions has occurred as the earnings season has begun to wind down and news headlines have driven less and less fear among investors. Interest rates may begin to rise if the 10-year treasury note index is any indicator, and this will lead certain stocks higher. Investors looking for stronger returns may be tempted to consider low-priced shares of a formerly strong company, such as General Electric.

Advertisement

How can we improve the Chart Advisor? Tell us at [email protected]

Enjoy the Chart Advisor? Copy and share the link below to invite friends to sign up

https://link.investopedia.com/join/53o/00-fwd-chartadvisor

Comments

• @johnN: When I clicked on the link, this is what I got !
    Regards,
    Ted
    Fill in your email and hit "SIGN UP" below to start receiving the Chart Advisor newsletter every weekday.
    Focus on market trends with in-depth charting and technical analysis related to the day's market performance by Investopedia's expert analysts.
  • @johnN
    If you opened a post from another, as this is formatted; do you actually consider this as an easily readable document? What am I looking for ???
    If you're "sorry" (to we here at MFO) that you received this as an email, and this is the best format you can provide; then why post this?
    I will presume that you're using a smart phone for this function; but that doesn't mean this is how your received email has to have its final form here.
    I'm very sure most folks here are busy and have limited time to pick and choose what to read.
    I don't have enough time to chase through this type of post to discover whether there is any knowledge or not.
    My point of view.....
    Catch