Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IBD Swing Trader

edited October 2019 in Off-Topic
I signed up for a free month of IBD's Swing Trader service, and I'm shocked to see how bad the past results are. They have had their runs of luck from time to time, and it looks like their October results will be positive (after losing 10% first), but my rough calculations show a loss of about 15% for September and a loss of about 12% for August.

I wouldn't dream of wading into that lion's den armed only with their little breakout charts. I truly think they should consider discontinuing the service (for which they charge $69 a month)

31 of their last 50 closed trades have been losers. Sure one can make up for a few small losses with one large gain, but as far as I can see that is not how it's played out.

Is there any reason to believe that their system works?

Comments

• I don't trade much and am suspicious of quantitative or technical systems that are offered for retail investors. IF they worked they would be used by everyone and then stop working. Look what happens when a new "Shadow stock" is added to AAII portfolio. Price goes thru the roof.

Every time, even after extensive due diligence, I have been tempted to try some "system" I have lost money. The latest example is AAII VMQ stocks which seems to have recovered a bit after a disastrous 2018, but is still 20% behind.

Supposedly ValueLine is still ahead but it provides so many recommendations it is hard to use.

• @dryflower: Reverse it. Short their picks so to speak.
    Derf