Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Fund/ETF Research Newsletter February 2013 edition

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Ha!

MJG's gonna love this one.

Skeeter, you must be grinning watching this fuse burn down=) :
    ...most...of these prior choices have indeed lived up to our expectations and performed well...
    ...it is indeed possible to find good funds that will do well as compared to benchmark indexes...
    ...one has access to information which allows him/her to usually be able to identify so many excellent funds in advance of their subsequent performance...
    Let me further help...I tend to agree with Dr. Madell.
  • edited January 2013
    "-One potential benefit of managed funds over index funds is if the manager is skilled enough, he/she can shift to some defensive investments, including cash, if and when we enter a bear market. An index fund must remain fully invested. "

A lot of managed funds who were supposedly "skilled" did worse than index in 2008. It turns out we are often mistaking luck for skill.

Having said that I do invest in managed funds. I hope my managers are either skilled or lucky or preferably both. Well... at least the majority funds... or some... or or hopefully, they do at least perform close to index and maybe not blow up next time! (please)