Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why My Bohemian Friend Hates How I Invest

FYI: Six years ago, my life was fairly normal. I taught full-time at a high school. Most of my colleagues had similar interests and values. They shared teaching strategies and how to help kids. Most of them, politically, leaned to the left.

Other jobs attract more right-leaning folk. That became apparent when I quit teaching and began to give investment presentations. Right wing capitalism has a lot of fans. People packed auditoriums to hear me speak about making money. But these people weren’t drawn to my handsome face or my colorful jokes. Instead, they came for the topic. They wanted to increase their wealth.
Regards,
Ted
https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/why-my-bohemian-friend-hates-how-i-invest

Comments

• There is some truth in this argument except for the fact that companies use their shares to acquire other companies, reward their executives, qualify for loans/debt and generally grow their business. Their stock becomes a kind of currency for them. So in that regard owning shares of an oil company in a mutual fund is supporting that oil company if it helps elevate its stock price.
  • edited September 2019
    “Other jobs attract more right-leaning folk”

Fault that statement as being way over generalized. Certainly there are exceptions. But - yup - I would agree that public service jobs (which are generally lower paying) appeal more to those of a liberal bent and that jobs focused on generating monetary profit appeal more to conservatives. Than there’s a whole universe of careers that fall somewhere in the middle (science, engineering, law, technology, medicine). These tend to attract folks of both persuasions.

To further complicate this, some notable business executives / investors certainly are sounding a lot like liberals these days: Ray Dalio, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates - to name but three.