Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Quantifying the Cost of Vanguard’s Emerging-Markets Index Shift

Comments

• If Korea underperforms with respect to other emerging market stocks the move might turn out advantageous to Vanguard fund. We will only know after the fact. Also, the stocks that vanguard is selling can provide downward momentum for those stocks. However, I expect there will be still significant overlap between indices so those overlapping stocks will change in percentage marginally so this might not be such a big deal.

If I am a manager of Actively managed fund, I would be looking to this as an opportunity to buy temporarily depressed stocks.
  • billions of institutional dollars redeemed from Vanguard due to this change. EEM is a beneficiary, even though it is more expensive.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: EEM is beneficiary of assets which does not mean much for us fund investors. I really do not care if Blackrock is making more money or not for themselves.
  • Reply to @Investor: South Korea has been a developed country for quite awhile. So it is no surprise that the FTSE index did not include it in their developing market index. Going forward these countries continue to "mature" and so does their representation in the emerging as well as the frontier market indices.