Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bond Fund Investing at 52

I have about 1/3 of my assets in cash. 1/6 is invested in a mix of moderate and conservative allocation funds. The rest, in individual stocks. I'd like to invest the cash portion in bonds. I'm not interested in anything racy. I'd like to start earning a little more money than I am presently earning by having my cash sit in the bank.

I've thought of the following plan:

TGCFX TCW core fixed income: 33%
WEFIX Weitz Short-Intermediate income:33%
BGNMX American Century GNMA:33%

Is this too narrow a portfolio?

Comments

• you maybe too late to the 'bond party', may catch the downfalls from here.
    please consider looking at prpfx permanent portfolio, lsbrx - loomis sayles, pimco total portfolio - pttdx, and TWC bonds. I believe these are a few favorites at MFO.
    Also consider vanguard total bond portfolio [very cheap and reasonable fee, its etf is BND]
    it's also good to look at catch22's portfolio, I believe he got the BEST BOND PORTFOLIO @ MFO IMHO...
    personally I have prpfx, lsbrx and bnd, I plan to hold these for a while.
    along w/ bunch of personal privatized bonds @ zions direct bond for less and edwardjones.

good luck