Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

edited January 2013 in Fund Discussions
It's been real fun, profitable, and most of all tranquil cruising with close to 100% in PONDX and before that for many years it was pretty much all Junkland for me. I like to concentrate with whatever is working best but enough is enough. Today the Dow Transports joined a slew of other indexes recently making all time historic highs ala the Russell 2000 Small Cap Index and the S&P 400 Mid Cap index. Think I will *gingerly* (like around 4%) try some of those derivative driven equity funds at PIMCO such as PCKDX and then build further from there if the market cooperates. I don't need to be reminded I could well be the last one on-board the equity train so will use a 3% to 5% mental exit point.

Edit: I should mention I am an elderly old man who while not rich is more than comfortable and doesn't any longer need the stress of hyper-active fund allocation and most of all drawdown of my capital. I would much prefer being on the trails hiking, running, and climbing mountains.

Comments

• Hey Hiyield007,
    Small cap stuff, eh? Curious as to why this equity sector; if you have a few minutes.
    Our house monies are sitting still, at least today. Looks like bonds will get a small benefit today, in most sectors.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • I like to chart PONDX as a way of monitoring performance of other funds...in this case, your choice, PCKDX. Another derivative enhanced Pimco mutual funds I like is PETDX which has outperformed PONDX in a very consisent manner over the last 4 years.

Here are three charted together:

• Reply to @bee: PETDX is essentially a derivative REIT index fund - as much as I really don't want to really even have the possibility of getting into the whole thing about bonds (yes, yes, they're just wonderful), I don't see how PETDX can be compared to PONDX.
  • beebee
    edited January 2013
    Reply to @scott:

The chart is strictly illustrating performance comparisons. From that stand point, PONDX performance provides a reference when considering other investments... nothing more.

PONDX is the credit side of Real Estate if you will. Both have been the right place to be for the last few years.

PCKDX performance looks stellar as well.
  • edited January 2013
    catch, not that into small caps, just that of the limited equity funds at PIMCO, PCKDX looked best for now. I just wanted a foot into the equity fund door. I can increase pretty fast if necessary. On the other hand, don't want to leave PONDX until the momentum stops. It has yet to have a down day, or even an unchanged day in 2013. I will never figure out how Ivascyn does his magic.

Bee, PETDX looks great but I am anti-volatility and prefer the smoother ride of PONDX. Even when I traded equity funds in the 80s and 90s it was all about low volatility and or anomalies. Sure miss those days and my favorite trading tool of all time - the datelining of funds. That was about the surest thing to a free lunch I've ever seen on Wall Street. I also miss how at INVESCO and Strong you could buy and sell day one day after another and another till infinity if needed and commission free on both sides.