Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Bond Legend Dan Fuss Is Buying AT&T Stock

I can't read this article because it's behind a paywall but somebody might be interested I hope. I did read it at Fidelity through my accounts there.

The stock rather than their bonds

Comments

• In addition to macro threats (wars, climate change, etc) ....

"Fuss sees less of a threat from the buildup of BBB credits—the lowest investment-grade rating—than others. Corporations still have an incentive to seek an optimal rating, borrowing to buy back stock and boost earnings per share, but usually stop before reaching the absolute limit of investment grade at BBB-minus. Indeed, he looks for possible “rising angels” that may move up to an A rating."

"When the fund couldn’t buy long-term AT&T bonds trading below face value (which would provide the most upside) in sufficient quantity at an attractive price, he opted to purchase the stock instead. The common’s yield of just over 6% is about 1.6 percentage points more than the bonds, which is a big attraction,"

• Thank you rforno for providing that synopsis. By the time I went back to Fidelity to fetch some accompanying text the article was gone from my feed.