Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: With Emerging Markets, Bonds May Beat Stocks

FYI: Few Rekenthaler Reports have praised bonds. That owes partially to timing--fixed-income yields have been consistently low during this column's tenure--and partially to personal preferences. My portfolio has always consisted almost solely of equities. (Currently, it's at its lowest-ever level of 90%, as I trimmed my Morningstar (MORN) position last summer and have not yet reinvested the proceeds.)

It also reflects my view that stocks offer a free lunch, because investors overreact to equities' volatility, thereby improving their long-term returns. (Paradoxically, over time asset classes that are disliked outperform their more-popular rivals.) That argument, which comes from behavioral economists, does not lend itself to proof, but I think it is largely correct.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.morningstar.com/articles/935126/with-emerging-markets-bonds-may-beat-stocks.html