Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Slow Loading in FF

edited January 2013 in Technical Questions
A few days ago, I came to the site & found that I'd been logged out since the last visit the day before, so of course I logged back in. Since then, pages have been extremely slow to load, much slower than any other site I've been on in that time. I've tried it with & without cookies, after logging out and back in, & checking that cookies are enabled, and nothing I've tried changes the slow load. Firefox 18.0 ... suggestions? problems on the site that have developed over the past few days?

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Hi AndyJ,
    Same here, and our browser is logging to the host server from within MI; where the server is located.
    Always keep all the pc here very clean and reset/clear all browser junk each morning before goint online. Using Windows 7 & I.E. 9.

"http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm"

The current report shows several outages in the midwest, including the "Ypsi, MI"; which is within 25 miles of the server used by MFO. This is a handy site to use, and clicking the "home" button at this linked page, will let you select which global area you choose to view.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Same thing out here in SF... verrrry slow the past few days. Other sites seem to be OK.
  • I'm in Boulder, Colorado and using Firefox. I haven't experienced any slowdown, and I visit at least once a day.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi tgeno,
    Hope you're enjoying your new location.
    No slowdowns from Boulder, eh?; cause of that Rocky Mountain high thing go'in the area. Some laided-back folks in your area wouldn't notice a slowdown.:)
    Take care,
    Catch
  • edited January 2013
    Back to ~ normal page-loading speed here in the N. Rockies this evening, FWIW. I didn't change any settings between the last slow-load visit and this apparently normal one. (This was the first time I've ever experienced any problem whatsoever with the MFO site.)
  • edited April 2013
    Just fyi & fwiw, I couldn't get on MFO for the past 24+ hours: it timed out every way I attempted (bookmark, typing in url, using a google link). Using firefox ... just now was able to get on.
  • Reply to @AndyJ:

No problem here in MI, and using IE build 9.

Regards,
    Catch
  • edited April 2013
    Reply to @AndyJ: From Austin, TX, I was unable to reach the sure around 5:00pm local. I use Time Warner cable. But it was also so on my AT&T iPhone. The site was slow prior to this.

When I did trace route there was a lot of packet loss at closer to site than my location. Then, after a few more traceroutes, MFO disappeared from internet completely and even DNS queries failed.

I think there was a major outage on the service provider. It may be that BGP route updates had failed and both the site and DNS became inaccessible.

It was back to normal at about 9:00pm when I checked next.
  • Hi, guys.

Total Choice Hosting was the subject of a sustained denial-of-service attack on Thursday afternoon, which substantially slowed everything they do (including the load of their own home- and problem-report pages). Chip has been tracking router traffic and speeds, and the problem clearly seems to reside in Michigan - messages were moving quickly until they hit routers in Troy and Detroit, at which point they slowed to a crawl.

Eventually the attack was localized to one server and speeds picked up again.

Still trying to figure out how best to respond.

David
  • There's currently been a sustained attack against WordPress sites occurring. (WordPress is the software behind our site) Our hosting company has been experiencing the impact, as have many others. You can read our hosting company's response here: https://forums.totalchoicehosting.com/index.php?showtopic=43326

More information, in general is available from http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/04/brute-force-attacks-build-wordpress-botnet/