Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jason Zweig: The Deal Hidden In Your 401(k)

FYI: Imagine a savings vehicle that allows you, in retirement, to withdraw as much or as little as you wish—tax-free.

This vehicle, the Roth 401(k), is a great tool for many savers, as my colleague Laura Saunders has pointed out. Why don’t more people take advantage of it?
Regards,
Ted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-deal-hidden-in-your-401-k-11559917801?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

Comments

• I can only answer why I don't use it: I maximize my 401k PRE-tax contributions to the extent allowed by law, rather than opting for the Roth.

Very simply, I am in my peak earning years and my marginal tax rate during this time will likely be much higher than when I retire --- primarily as my income in retirement will be much lower.

• edited June 2019
    “Many asset managers’ websites don’t nudge retirement savers into favoring a Roth 401(k), however. The calculators they offer to compare the advantages of Roth and traditional 401(k)s often make Roths look second-rate.”

Think about it. Why encourage people to pay taxes before investing or do a conversion later in life which may result in their not having as much left over to invest? Your fiduciaries stand to get a higher “cut” from your higher pre-tax balance than after you’ve paid taxes on it. They’re charging their management fees on money which you’ll eventually need to cede back to Uncle Sam. Double-dipping in a sense.

I can’t speak to the wisdom (or lack thereof) of contributing to a Roth in the early years. May or may not make sense. But if you can afford to pay those taxes at some later point and convert, I think it makes a lot of sense - especially if you can do it with some depreciated asset that stands to rebound.

The thing to remember: All the money you earn on that Roth going forward (potentially for many years) is fully tax exempt. The gift that keeps on giving ...