Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Governments Rethink Their 'Moral Obligation' to Municipal Bondholders

https://www.governing.com/topics/finance/gov-municipal-bonds-platte-county-default.html

Governments Rethink Their 'Moral Obligation' to Municipal Bondholders

In the post-recession era, some struggling governments are choosing not to pay bondholders -- and judges are allowing their refusal.

Comments

• You should've combined this w/your other post John -- and created the perfect neurosis of analysis paralysis. One article says buy muni funds and this one suggests munis aren't as 'safe' an investment as they once were.

https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/50312/3-big-dividends-the-irs-can-t-touch

.... and then sit back to watch reader heads explode. :)
  • I just give up!:)
  • edited June 2019
    Hi @_rforno...i always have positions in high grade muni individuals bonds... If you buy high grades risks maybe much better but ur yields are so much lower... Having said that if you buy Michigan peuti Rico or Missouri indivibonds - - all bets are off and you may loose lots money once defaults .. That's why most small investors may would/ prefer buying muni bonds etf or funds (MUNI). Either that or do diligence research on private mid to high grade individual muni bonds before purchased

• Absolutely agree -- one must do their own DD and not invest blindly or b/c a headline or TV pundit said so.
    johnN said:

Hi @_rforno...i always have positions in high grade muni individuals bonds... If you buy high grades risks maybe much better but ur yields are so much lower... Having said that if you buy Michigan peuti Rico or Missouri indivibonds - - all bets are off and you may loose lots money once defaults .. That's why most small investors may would/ prefer buying muni bonds etf or funds (MUNI). Either that or do diligence research on private mid to high grade individual muni bonds before purchased