Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Surprise from Latest summary prospectus from Royce Micro Cap (RYOTX)

Latest summary prospectus from Royce on their Micro Cap Fund (RYOTX) specifies that the fund is allowed to invest up to 35% of its holdings in foreign companies (10% emerging markets).

That's a dramatic change from the 2010 summary prospectus which lists the foreign ceiling as 25%. And, yes, Royce offers an international micro cap fund (new this year), but no global micro cap fund.

No matter, Royce continues to benchmark the performance of RYOTX against Russell 2000 and Russell Micro Cap.

Good shop, good fund, but more shenanigans.

Comments

• The fund should adopt a more global benchmark or create a synthetic one meshing up a domestic and international one for a more appropriate benchmark. A lot of funds play this benchmark game to exaggerate their performance.
  • In defense of RYOTX, there are really no convenient benchmarks for its portfolio. In contrast, one may rightfully question BB comparing his FAIRX to the S&P500.

We own a foothold in RYOTX, and no more, as Royce has consistently demonstrated questionable fund stewardship with way above average expense ratios. For example, RYOTX has $1.5B in AUM with a 1.50% net expense ratio, which includes an exorbitant 1.3% management fee. I watched this fund grow in AUM with no significant decrease in the net expense ratio, and I eventually decided to sell the fund down to a foothold as a matter of principle.

If one desires a global exposure to SC, I would definitely prefer 50/50 combinations of VSS/PARSX (combined ER 0.76%) or VSS/WSCVX (ER 0.90%) over RYOTX.

Kevin
  • I've never seen anyone as bad as Royce. Most of their funds can be up to 20% international now.
  • I thought DFA had a micro-cap index? In my experience decent micro-cap funds are had to come by.

Anyway, good points on Royce. My wife and I both own a Royce fund or two. I'm always on the lookout for alternates, because they've changed quite a bit since Legg Mason took them over. I've stayed in RYOTX because I figure as a micro-cap fund it had to close sooner or later.

Well, it did. But they also changed the fund's mandate and opened an international micro-cap fund. With Royce, its almost always about AUM (and, pulling the bait-and-switch with Whitney George).

I've ranted about Royce before, but just had to post when I saw this recent change with regard to RYOTX's mandate. Even Royce Opportunity (RYPNX) has changed recently.

If anyone knows of good, low expense, shareholder-friendly small cap funds, please pass them along (pre-emptively I'll say that I've looked at T.Rowe's -- they don't fare as well as Royce's by my metrics).
  • Here they go again. Asset gathering seems to be their main motivation rather than serving their investors. The firm lost their bearing once they are sold to Legg Mason.
  • There are very few funds today who act as fiduciaries first, profit-making machines, second. Very few. Royce was one of the good ones. That has changed in very short order. Their fees have gone up as well. Such a shame what has happened to this once honorable shop.
  • edited May 2011
    In defense of RYOTX, there are really no convenient benchmarks for its portfolio.
    Actually MSCI, Russell, DJ/Wilshire now have Micro Cap indices which can be used to compare microcaps performance. Now, that they bumped up their allocation for international to 35% they can mush-up these two indices in proportion yo judge their performance more fairly.
  • edited May 2011
    You know, its not even the "micro cap" issue.

Take a look.

Most all of Royce's funds are allowed to invest up to 20% international. That figure is an increase from their previous guideline of 10%. But regardless -- all of Royce's funds are benchmarked against the small cap index. Even the portfolios that are over 30% midcap.

Royce is by far the worst offender I know of in terms of the benchmark nonsense.

I chuckle when lowly TIAA-CREF goes to great lengths to create a benchmark for their social choice fund, while Royce puts out a fact card showing that 80% (or whatever it is) of their funds beat their Russell 2000 (etc.) benchmark over 5 and 10 years.

Its flat-out dishonest. At best they drag out some line about "absolute returns".

And I'd bet dollars to donuts that they expand the international % so that they don't have to close the funds.

Royce sold his name, he didn't have to sell his soul.
  • I think I made it clear that if they wanted to be a little more honest, they would create an appropriate benchmark for the fund by meshing up a couple of indices. It is still not perfect but goes a long way towards measuring the performance of the fund. So, far they are very content to be apparent of beating the chosen index. Unfortunately, this is a game that is played out by many in this industry. Royce is just taking it a step further.
  • Yes you did make that clear. I was not taking issue with your suggestion. We seem to very much be in agreement.