Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mf newsletter monthly read, - Have You Considered These Six Ways to Conquer the Fear of a Plunging M

http://funds-newsletter.com/jun19-newsletter/jun19.htm

Have You Considered These Six Ways to Conquer the Fear of a Plunging Market?

By Tom Madell

It appears that this may be a good time to discuss the possibility that stocks, and maybe even bonds, may have seen their best returns for a while. Even if they haven't, the 10 year bull market for stocks has been extraordinary and we all should know that bull markets don't last forever. So this might be as good a time as any to do some advance planning as to what one might want to do if stocks continue to underperform, or even enter a bear market in the future.

Comments

• edited May 2019
    Thanks John for posting the newsletter. I always enjoy reading what Dr. Madell has to write. I am most happy to see he posted his model portfolio asset allocations. Being an asset allocator, myself, this is something that I enjoyed seeing.

One of the ways I deal with fear (and greed) is by adjusting my asset allocation mix.

As many on the board my know, I recently moved from an asset allocation of 15% cash, 35% income and 50% equity to 20% cash, 40% income and 40% equity. This required me to reduce my equity allocation by 10% and raise both my cash and income allocations by 5% each. This was mostly done due to my age; but, also because of the current market climate.

This new allocation provides me sufficient income, allows for some growth of principal, over time; and, if a cash draw is needed, above portfolio income generation, then there is ample cash available. Plus, I also have enough cash available for new investment purposes if felt warranted.

Again, thanks for posting Dr. Madell's newsletter. I enjoyed reading it.

Old_Skeet
  • thankyou OldSkeet. we are still 80/20 - has 17-20 yrs ++ [aggressive portfolio], did some buying recently VDE, VHT, VTI. sold couple of bonds in sep-ira accnt.
    we'll see what happens...buying more stocks than bond pasg 6 months