Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nora Jones: American Anthem: Memorial Day (Amazing Grace Bagpipes)

Comments

• United We Stand ... Divided We Fall.

• @M FO Members: The poster just can't leave well enough alone. This is Memorial Day Weekend, not an ad for SWA.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited May 2019
    Ted said:

FYI: On this Memorial Day weekend, let us not forget those who gave their lives for our country.
    Regards,
    Ted

I just lately discovered that "American Anthem," myself, from Norah Jones. It is featured in the Ken Burns series, "The War." Her voice is like syrup on velvet. Simple. Beautiful. True. My wife and I were at Pearl Harbor yesterday--- the Friday at the front end of Memorial Day week-end. The USS Arizona Memorial cannot take tourists for the time being. The Naval personnel told us there is structural damage from the weather, after all these years. By the end of 2019, it should be all fixed. They drove us close, so we could take pictures. (We'd already been before, in 2006.) We took the bus to Ford Island. We saw the iconic red-and-white-striped tower. I guess that was Air Traffic Control back in '41? Also, we toured the USS Missouri. "Mighty Mo." We stood in the Truman Line. The tour guide was magnificent. Clear and informative and he made it all interesting. I learned about the kamikaze episode off Okinawa: the plane was shot at, but his approach was low and tight. The left wing scraped the ship, the plane crashed and the attached bomb never detonated. The ship's crew wanted to simply sweep the pilot's dead body overboard. The chaplain would not permit it. He was given a burial at sea. Today, after years of research, the identity of the pilot has been almost certainly determined. ...Such an occurrence would have been all over the newspapers back home, but it was the same day that FDR died.
  • @Crash: My faith has been restored by your message, its refreshing to have a follow up message that blends in with the intent of Memorial Day.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited May 2019
    +1.... Thanks, @Ted. Surely, @hank's posting was well-intended, too. I just thought to add this: In round numbers, 2,400 people--- military and civilian, died in the Pearl Harbor attack. Nearly half of that number were sailors on the Arizona: 1,177. They gave their best. Suddenly, with no warning, in an instant, unprepared for what would happen to them. And don't forget the Utah, the Oklahoma, and the others. There are newer memorials to commemorate those folks, too. The whole day touring held a sacredness for me.
  • edited May 2019
    @Ted: Like you, my intent was to honor veterans using an appropriate symbol. You chose a musical salute. I chose to image a special aircraft. The plane is Southwest’s Missouri One. It was commissioned by Southwest in 1994 as a tribute to the great state of Missouri. It bears Missouri’s state flag and Coat of Arms along with the Eagle from the United States Coat of Arms and spectacularly displays the colors of the American flag.

The port side of the aircraft bears the words “United We Stand”, while the starboard (pictured) bears the words “Divided We Fall.” Those words seem appropriate for the age in which we live and have been used throughout history by great national leaders to help unity their citizenry. None less than Winston Churchill has spoken those words in striving to unify a divided nation. We can quibble about symbols if you like Ted. But none should doubt either of our allegiance to the United States or our mutual respect for those who have served.

I happen to like both Southwest and Nora Jones. I’m also fond of the Boeing 737 aircraft (pictured) which is a remarkable symbol of and testament to American industry and ingenuity. Its gloried aviation history dates back to several years before the first American moon landing. And it is still widely used by many airlines around the world today. Ted, I don’t think either of us in choosing a representation to depict our love of homeland and our respect for veterans intended to offer up a “commercial.” It certainly wasn’t my intent. But let’s not kid ourselves. Nora Jones, like Southwest, is a commercial enterprise. As such, she’s both a contributor to and a beneficiary of our great American capitalist system.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/singers/norah-jones-net-worth/
  • @MFO Members: To late for the poster to try and backtrack, his true colors have been revealed. He should be banned from MFO !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • It's not too late, on the Sunday of Memorial Day week-end, for anyone to appreciate the very touching song from Norah Jones, to appreciate @Ted's reason for posting it, to read the info I provided--- some of which was news to me just a couple of days ago--- and to look at and appreciate @hank's contributions to the message-thread, here. Honor their sacrifice, and the eventual victory. That's what we're doing here, yes?
  • edited May 2019
    Deleted
  • edited May 2019
    My initial response (the 737 photo) was posted soon after @Ted put up the Nora Jones song and video. I felt my contribution was appropriate for the Nora Jones patriotic music. Either I failed to see (or Ted might have added it moments later) the “Amazing Grace Bagpipes” portion of his post. Had I noted that, I wouldn’t have posted my photo. The bagpipes music is accompanied by a dozen or more heart-wrenching videos of grieving widows, sons, daughters, mothers and loved ones. (There’s even a forlorn looking dog in the mix). It’s a depressing series of images to view. Had I realized that was the approach Ted was taking, I’d not have posted the beautiful airplane image. It’s out of place in such a tragic series of photos.

Although Memorial Day is a day of remembrance of those who lost their lives in war, it has come over the years to represent much more. Today Memorial Day provides a day to celebrate American exceptionalism, rejoice in our national achievements and give thanks for the freedoms we enjoy (and for which the fallen fought to preserve). It’s a time of family gatherings, cookouts, concerts in the park and celebration of the arrival of spring.

So @Ted has a point that the solemnity he set out to convey and the sanctity of the fallen should not have been interrupted by something a materialistic as a brightly painted aircraft - even one of the stature and heritage I chose to share,

PS - David long ago revoked Ted’s authority to banish members from the board.:)