Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

comparison, just three funds: small-caps

I've tracked these guys, and have owned the latter two. I still presently own MSCFX. I remember that QRSVX was recommended as part of a larger and diverse "make more, lose less" portfolio here at MFO. When I was actively adding to my 403b, I owned PRSVX for a few years. When small-caps are in the doldrums, I found that PRSVX will do no better than not to LOSE more than small-cap funds generally. It's been on a tear more recently, along with other small-caps. ...And MSCFX is one I bought-into only last Spring, about 9 months ago. In this comparison, I make no distinction between value, blend or growth.

QRSVX now holds $72.3 M (Management unchanged since June, 2002)
PRSVX holds $7.6 B (a long-time veteran manager will leave in 2014.)
MSCFX holds $44.5 M (This fund started-up in Aug, 2011 and the same Manager continues.)

QRSVX 1 year 3 years 5 years 10 years
6.49 7.39 5.73 9.98
RANK 99 97 61 54

PRSVX 20.32 14.13 7.67 11.37
RANK 24 22 16 13

MSCFX 32.88
RANK 2

*RANK = PERCENTILE in category.

Comments

• Well, Crap. The spaces all got squished together. The posting turns out to be virtually worthless with all those lovely numbers all sitting on top of each other, or in each other's pockets. Giant big crap.
  • Max, the data is readable; and yes, it is difficult here to make a list look pretty here.

So, are you only presenting the list; or are you shopping?

Catch
  • No, I'm not shopping. I guess the lack of performance is a bit of a surprise over the long haul in Queen's Road. Anyone here (still) own QRSVX?
  • T. Rowe Price has one of the best systems for management transition I've seen. Announce months if not years in advance, bring the manager on board, keep the analyst team intact, generally follow the same philosophy (though each new manager is still unique). I wouldn't worry about PRSVX. See, e.g. PRNHX for how TRP transitions funds.

As far as getting columns right, try <PRE>, e.g.

QRSVX 1 year 3 years 5 years 10 years
    6.49 7.39 5.73 9.98
    RANK 99 97 61 54

PRSVX 20.32 14.13 7.67 11.37
    RANK 24 22 16 13

MSCFX 32.88
    RANK 2
  • Oh, dear. Thank you, msf.
  • edited March 2013
    msf makes good point