Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ben Carlson: What Should I Do With Excess Cash?

FYI: A reader asks:

I am married with a 2.5-year-old daughter and my parents are also dependent on me. I bought a house in 2017 and I have a $253k loan on my 30-year mortgage @ 3.75%. I have $208,000 in my retirement accounts, including 401k and I have $3,100 in a 529 account. $32,000 in an overseas CD earning 6%. I have $61,000 in an emergency saving account earning 2%. And I have $134,000 in a savings account earning 2% And I don’t have a taxable investment account. So my question is what should I do with excess cash?

The good news is this reader is a diligent saver. Having excess cash is a good problem to have but it can be a problem nonetheless.

Cash offers optionality and provides a margin of safety but it can also become an addiction and is not the best long-term holding because you’re almost guaranteed to lose to inflation over time.
Regards,
Ted
http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2019/05/what-should-i-do-with-excess-cash/