Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fake News

FYI: How fake news gets into our minds, and what you can do to resist it

Although the term itself is not new, fake news presents a growing threat for societies across the world. Only a small amount of fake news is needed to disrupt a conversation, and at extremes it can have an impact on democratic processes, including elections.

But what can we do to avoid fake news, at a time when we could be waiting a while for mainstream media and social networks to step up and address the problem?

From a psychology perspective, an important step in tackling fake news is to understand why it gets into our mind. We can do this by examining how memory works and how memories become distorted. Using this viewpoint generates some tips you can use to work out whether you’re reading or sharing fake news.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/04/a-cognitive-scientist-explains-why-humans-are-so-susceptible-to-fake-news-and-misinformation/

Comments

• Thanks, Ted... a good article, and timely also. A few main points from the article:

In determining fake news, ask yourself the following questions:

What type of content is this? Many people rely on social media and aggregators as their main source of news. By reflecting on whether information is news, opinion, or even humor, this can help consolidate information more completely into memory.

Where is it published? Paying attention to where information is published is crucial for encoding the source of information into memory. If something is a big deal, a wide variety of sources will discuss it, so attending to this detail is important.

Who benefits? Reflecting on who benefits from you believing the content helps consolidate the source of that information into memory. It can also help us reflect on our own interests and whether our personal biases are at play.

• I believe that way too many people have failed to develop few, if any, critical thinking or reasoning skills. Peer pressure also plays a huge part.
  • The madness and delusions of the zealots, on both sides of the political fence; sadly, is alive and well.

The below in bold is a current (Oct. 2018) and a typical lie that moves through various social media postings by conservative individuals and groups.

I randomly monitor social networks and individuals, and discover the interconnects from copy/paste of whats a "hot" topic of the moment.

When I've provided true/factual information about whatever the topic, I used to be able to draw some conversation from the poster in a respectful manner. Today, including several who used to be friends (going back 30 years); a summary of a reply, if I get one; is basically a "whatever", even knowing the information is a lie. The overwhelming position is one of, keep the Republicans in political power; by any methods.

When providing the most simple and straight forward information about how S.S. C.O.L.A. is calculated and ask the poster, "Why did you do this?" The base reply is now along the wording of, "oh, well."

All the Congressional Democrats voted against a 2.8 percent Social Security cost of living allowance.

The current societal divisions will not heal in my remaining time on this third rock from the sun.
    Very sad, even when measured against the turbulent era of my young adult years; and events that were taking place all around this country.
  • edited May 2019
    "The madness and delusions of the zealots, on both sides of the political fence; sadly, is alive and well."

@catch22- While you might find a few examples of similar lies propagated by the left, I challenge ANYONE to compare the "offerings" of the left vs the right. There is absolutely NO equivalency in the frequency or the deliberate malignity in this area.

I also have experienced this from a former friend: "a reply, if I get one; is basically a "whatever", even knowing the information is a lie. The overwhelming position is one of, keep the Republicans in political power; by any methods."

They are not even remotely interested in an intelligent or logical conversation or examination of the facts. Total propaganda, all the time. Personally, I place the majority of the blame for starting us down this road on Fox "news", with the more vicious the commentary, the greater the income. The person pretending to be the current president of the United States is a first-rate example of this.
  • Howdy folks,

Huge issue and made worse by social media's positive feedback loop. That said, there are those people that simply want a 'answer' or something/someone they can blame. Geez, look around you at the Trump supporters you know. How many are glassy eyed and repeating the Rush/Hannity/Fox news mantra of the day. Last summer over a beer on the 4th, my BIL told me in the utmost sincerity that the tariff war was good because it was going to bring home all the manufacturing jobs. I simply said, 'I hope so' and went outside. I know now what it felt like in southern Cal when your neighbors were packing to go to Jonestown. And alas, the pain these types have to experience to wake up is significant.

Then you've got the anarchists that just want to burn it all down.

Neither group cares much about the truth and besides, if everyone believes a lie and acts as if it was the truth . . . feh, it might as well be the truth.

Register and vote.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono