Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ben Carlson: What Should I Do With My Inheritance?

FYI: My wife and I recently had a retirement and inheritance discussion with her parents. During our conversation it was mentioned how much they plan to leave for inheritance. We’re already on track to retire in our early 60s. However, I’m curious if I should try to incorporate the additional inheritance, it’s a significant amount but I don’t expect, nor do I want to receive this money well into our retirement. What I’d really like to do is tell them to keep the money but pay for my kids’ college and that would free up significant money now that I could direct other places.

This is obviously a good problem to have and it’s one people in the financial services industry have been harping on for years. There have been endless think pieces and presentations given about the coming $30 trillion wealth transfer from baby boomers to the next generation.

Like most things in the world of finance, if this money is someday transferred to the next gen, it will likely benefit people at the top of the wealth scale the most:
Regards,
Ted
http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2019/05/financial-planning-for-an-inheritance/