Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: Fund Pairings For Your IRA

FYI: Picking funds for an IRA is a little tricky. The limits on yearly contributions make it challenging to build a complete portfolio. Furthermore, it's wise to view the IRA as a complement to the rest of your portfolio rather than as a stand-alone entity. However, IRAs do have their own set of rules and implied investment horizon both on the accumulation and withdrawal sides.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.morningstar.com/articles/927344/fund-pairings-for-your-ira.html

Comments

• Morn'in.

This statement from the writer (Russel Kinnel is the director of manager research for Morningstar) is misleading, and I don't understand what he is attempting to portray. One hell of a discouraging statement (below in bold) for any newbie investor or others, too. Obtaining enough clear thinking about nominal/standard types of investments is much less complex than learning fluent Mandarin Chinese.

" Picking funds for an IRA is a little tricky. The limits on yearly contributions make it challenging to build a complete portfolio. Furthermore, it's wise to view the IRA as a complement to the rest of your portfolio rather than as a stand-alone entity. However, IRAs do have their own set of rules and implied investment horizon both on the accumulation and withdrawal sides."

Let us assume a new employee at small company "A" doesn't have any access to a 401k type plan. They choose to contribute to a Roth IRA. For 2019, if they can budget the amount, they are able to contribute $6,000. This amounts to $500/month for dollar cost averaging into chosen investments.

I'm placing just a few investment choices that come to my mind and are readily available at the Fidelity.

--- ITOT, U.S. centric, cost = $66/share
    --- ACWI, Global equity, cost = $74/share
    --- FCNTX, U.S. centric, active managed, cost = $13/share
    --- FSPHX, U.S. broad healthcare, active managed, cost = $23/share
    --- FBALX, U.S. moderate allocation, active managed, cost = $23/share

I find in about 15 minutes of light thinking, several investments for a younger investor that ARE NOT tricky or leave an incomplete portfolio for growth.

No wonder folks become turned off when considering investing.

Have a good remainder,
    Catch