Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MFO Commentary - January 2013

edited January 2013 in Fund Discussions
Another chock full commentary, thank you David.

On outflows, I still struggle a bit on relative significance here...
In the last full week of 2012, investors pulled $750 million from US stock funds and added $1.25 billion into international ones.
Again, I believe there is something like $18 Trillion in US equities. Think AndyJ and I believe that while these flows are large in absolute terms, they seem fairly insignificant compared to relative overall investment, no?

Here's life-time performance summary of the bond fund picks in the Forbe's article you reference:

FWIW, the Loomis Sayles Bond fund lost more than 20% in 2008.

Looking forward to the MFO conference call with Teresa Kong, manager of Matthews Asia Strategic Income MAINX.

Glad to see Cook & Bynum Fund COBYX reducing its expense ratio.

Podcasts page is a good addition to the MFO website.

Glad to see you will be profiling Whitebox Long Short Equity WBLSX and PIMCO Short Asset Investment PAIUX.

Thanks again for all the good work...and, Happy New Year!

Comments

• Hi, Charles.

I was just poking MFWire a bit for their slightly-silly headline trumpeting the turnaround of stock fund flows. Stock fund flows, as a whole, have been positive in something like 14 of the past 60 weeks. Getting excited about one more (not even two in a row), and a trivial one at that, seems slightly risible.

Nothing big. Thanks for the kind words.

David